Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
thanks for all the responses!

As the OP, I haven't felt attacked by anyone on this thread yet.. there have been some folks who have some interesting thoughts, but I don't think there was any malice intended.. for the record, I have also, in the past, thought that folks can just "eat better".. and I could totally eat better and do more exercise for sure, and maybe that is the direction I go with this..

I will say that these meds are a great option for folks who have tried everything else and haven't success, for whatever reasons..

Thanks all!
If someone asks how they can get faster on the bike, one answer is "train more." Another answer is "quit your job." Obviously quitting your job doesn't directly make you faster, but it removes what for many is the largest impediment to training more.

Similarly, to lose weight, you have to "eat better." GLP-1 agonists work by removing what for many is the largest impediment to eating better (excess desire for unhealthy foods).

Many people can eat better without the help of GLP-1 agonists, just like many people can get up at 5am and get a good workout in before work. But it's hard, and even people who set out with that goal cannot always consistently achieve it.

At a population level, the introduction of these drugs seems to be the only thing that has broken our decades-long trend of increasing obesity. On an individual level, it's fine to try to lose weight without these drugs (I know I am), but statistically speaking, you're more likely to be successful if the drugs are an option compared to if they're not.
Old Today, 09:53 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This has been an interesting discussion.

As far as I know we are all just armchair physicians here though.

I would still like to know if the OP is under the care of a medical professional, and what they advised fort the OP??

There has also been no mention of what, if any steps the OP has taken to reduce the weight (or weight gain) already.

To be clear, I mean no disrespect or attack of the OP at all. I think to have this conversation better, it would be helpful to have a more clear picture of the situation.
not that it's pertinent to the original question in post #1, but..

I have been seeing a nutritionist through the VA for a bit and she has referred me (through my PCM) for the meds.. I have an appt to speak with someone about them.

Steps taken would include working with a nutritionist and exercise.

At this point, I don't know for sure if the meds are an option, but it feels like they will be. That's the reason I'm asking the questions.. I've spoken to non-cyclists who have taken the meds, but wanted to, hopefully, get a rider's experience..

so really, while I've entertained all the back and forth on why a person is overweight, etc, that's not what my original post is about.. why I may or may not take the meds isn't really what the post is about.. the post was asking if anyone had any experience with the meds..

also, there is at one least board-certified Doc here.. PurpleBikeChick, but this doesn't sound like her speciality..

Last edited by fourflys; Today at 10:40 PM.
Old Today, 10:39 PM

I think we are increasingly moving away from the notion of shaming in discussing obesity and other illnesses or addictions (all unhealthy forms) which is helpful especially because judgement is the last thing many people struggling with this need. I have a sibling on this drug who is at severe risk of diabetes if he doesn’t lose weight. Did he gain weight because of poor lifestyle? Yup. Am I happy to see him achieve health through a pill? Absolutely. It’s a journey and the road is rarely straight and smooth but I’m grateful to see his progress and wish the same for all who struggle with this condition.
Old Today, 11:14 PM

My best friend, a former swimmer at Duke who kept eating like a swimmer is now on GLP-1s. He has lost 80lbs in a little over a year and his life and health have change dramatically for the better. In the 30 plus years of knowing him after college he tried every weight loss program in the book including gastric bypass surgery. Nothing worked except with GLP-1s..

He takes his shots on Sunday and is nauseous and has no energy til about Monday evening. Earlier on this side effect lasted longer. The other side effect is massive muscle loss.

All his vitals are better. He is not pre diabetic. Psychologically he is better and happier. An interesting note is GLP-1 really affected his psychological relationship with food. He told me he would be sitting there and think to himself “I should be eating right now but I am not … weird. “

Anyway, I am sure glp-1s have put 10 good years on him. So it is hard for me to argue against them.

BTW for those who say toughen up buttercup. Dude graduated with honors in 3 years while swimming D1 at a top academic school

Last edited by Rev Bob Dobbs; Today at 11:30 PM.