Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 01:22 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

FCP Euro if they have what you need.

Great customer service and quality on aftermarket foreign parts.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old Today, 02:26 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
This is called Amazon, right?
depends on the seller.. Amazon sells quality stuff.. and junk..
Old Today, 03:06 PM
Mostly JRA

hahaha this reminds me of one of my not finer moments. I had a BMW 525I stick wagon for a long time. On a Friday, the dealer said they could have it ready with a new alternator by Tue, $1350 all-in. I needed the car on Mon. So off I go to NAPA for remanufactured OEM (Bosch, no return on electrical parts), and thence to my trusty tire shop. ( even though I knew better.)

Picked the car up Sat afternoon, all good, cruising at 55mph that night on the bypass at dusk. Dash goes dark--deadzo, right at the off-ramp. I coasted to a funeral home parking lot. Monday morning, back at the dealer, eating crow as my rolex-wearing tech advisor--we were pretty much on a first name basis already-- kindly takes notes and the tow truck pulls in.

All good to go again Tues afternoon, neat and tidy. $950 total. And NAPA gave me the money back after all. Some things are just better kept purely OEM.
Old Today, 03:21 PM

OEM used to mean Original Equipment Manufacturer aka the people that made the alternator that Toyota stuck in your truck in the first place - since Toyota likely doesn't make alternators.

Nowdays it doesn't, it's often OEM-ish.

If your supplier can give you a part number that Toyota can cross-reference with the part in question, then I'd do it.

Of course the parts business is a big deal now, so Toyota may play games with you and throw the numbers off a few digits to obfuscate the parts but that should be part of your homework.
Old Today, 04:29 PM

I've bought many many things on Rockauto and have never had a problem with them or with any of the parts I've bought.

On a related note, one thing to consider is that the "aftermarket" brands you see for sale on places like Rockauto may actually be the same manufacturer of the OEM parts. Auto manufacturers often source many of their "OEM" parts from established manufacturers. Years ago I had a Kia Sorento and the power steering pump needed to be replaced. I had done these before but figured I'd get a priced form nearest Kia dealer. The price they quoted me was crazy high, something like $300 for the part and another $1000 in labor. I decided to do it myself and ordered the pump from Rockauto. I don't remember the brand I bought but it may have been Cardone (they are a big parts manufacturer). As I'm installing it I noticed it was identical to the one I removed, and lo and behold it had a Kia logo on it.
Old Today, 06:07 PM

Another vote for RockAuto