Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 10:26 AM

looking for Factor Ostro Gravel rider feedback

I'm in window shopping mode for a new gravel bike. I live in a region that doesnt allow for checking out anything in person besides Trek and Spec and Cervelo.
I'm looking online and talking with a sales rep about Factor OG. I've read all the WW stuff and checked geo on GG. I'm trying to get more info on ride quality and personal experiences dealing with Factor. The price is at the pointy end of what I'd like to spend so trying to get as much info as a i can. Side note, D2D bike shopping is fookinghell.
feel free to pm me if you'd prefer
thanks
Old Today, 12:08 PM
Vendor

What is D2D Bike Shopping?

No experience with the Factor Gravel. Rode a last gen Ostro VAM and was like 'eh, it feels like a road bike made out of carbon.'
Old Today, 12:37 PM

I have a 52cm OG. I'm 137lbs and have beat on it as hard as a 137lb man can and I've been really happy with it. I also use it as a road bike and it does that well.

The only real issue with the frame is the seatpost binder bolt. Lots of issues I'm sure you have heard about. It has slipped on me in the past.

I think my question back to you is why the OG over say a Crux? My wife crux is lighter and was much cheaper.

If you are going to race gravel and you are looking to save every watt the OG is a great bike. If that isn't you, I'd take a hard look at the Crux.

Happy to answer any specific questions. Mine is built with 12spd DA. I often run 650x47 when racing as tire clearance is limited with front derail.

Jeff
Old Today, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
What is D2D Bike Shopping?

No experience with the Factor Gravel. Rode a last gen Ostro VAM and was like 'eh, it feels like a road bike made out of carbon.'
Sorry. Typo D2C. Direct to consumer

So basically “meh” + hype?
Old Today, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffie View Post
I have a 52cm OG. I'm 137lbs and have beat on it as hard as a 137lb man can and I've been really happy with it. I also use it as a road bike and it does that well.

The only real issue with the frame is the seatpost binder bolt. Lots of issues I'm sure you have heard about. It has slipped on me in the past.

I think my question back to you is why the OG over say a Crux? My wife crux is lighter and was much cheaper.

If you are going to race gravel and you are looking to save every watt the OG is a great bike. If that isn't you, I'd take a hard look at the Crux.

Happy to answer any specific questions. Mine is built with 12spd DA. I often run 650x47 when racing as tire clearance is limited with front derail.

Jeff
So funny you should mention Crux. I’m basically doing everything I can to talk myself out of give my money to Specialize when I know if it was the same bike under a different brand it would be a done deal. Racing is part of the equation the second part is that gravel where I’m at in RI is either connecting gravel segments with lots of tarmac between or putting the bike on the car and doing the travel for gravel trip. I’m looking at bikes equally capable on pavement and off.
Old Today, 01:31 PM

I can't really answer your question as I have never ridden one.
But there is a shop local to me that carries Factor and I gotta say they look amazing in person, really beautiful, and the have a custom paint program that is nice.
Old Today, 01:34 PM

Just buy a Crux You can run 47mm tires on it with a front derailleur (GRX or SRAM Wide), and it rides exceedingly well on and off pavement. Plus none of the headset cable routing issues to deal with (though the Factor does come with the Ceramic Speed SLT headset bearings which in theory should be very long lasting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda View Post
So funny you should mention Crux. I’m basically doing everything I can to talk myself out of give my money to Specialize when I know if it was the same bike under a different brand it would be a done deal. Racing is part of the equation the second part is that gravel where I’m at in RI is either connecting gravel segments with lots of tarmac between or putting the bike on the car and doing the travel for gravel trip. I’m looking at bikes equally capable on pavement and off.

Last edited by fa63; Today at 01:36 PM.