Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 02:23 AM

Curious about Matt Stephens as a commentator

I've been watching, and thoroughly enjoying, a few of the Cafe Ride video's and Matt Stephens has mentioned that he commentates. I like him in the Cafe Rides but I'm wondering if anyone here has heard his commentary and what's he like as a commentator.
Old Today, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
I've been watching, and thoroughly enjoying, a few of the Cafe Ride video's and Matt Stephens has mentioned that he commentates. I like him in the Cafe Rides but I'm wondering if anyone here has heard his commentary and what's he like as a commentator.
He does a great job as an analyst. In fact, I think Matt combined with Ned Boulting is the best commentary team in the business.

They did the Giro together this year - for the feed that Flo had - and I thought they were fantastic together.
Old Today, 08:27 AM

Matt is one of my top 3 commentators. David Lloyd, Rob Hatch, and Matt Stephens are top-notch smart guys who have the magic mix of good diction, deep knowledge of the sport (tactics, racers' names, personal input), and passion.

Jose Been is next with Robbie McEwen, Adam Blythe, Carlton Kirby, and Brian Smith. Carlton Kirby thinks he's funnier than he really is but he's knowledgeable as well. Sean Kelly is very good but never bothered to clean up his accent.

I'd be remiss not to mention Phil Liggett, but I think he should retire as he constantly forgets names, mixes up teams, and misses moves. I feel bad for Bob Roll who has the ungodly task of correcting him.

But yes, Matt Stephens is excellent and has a great future as a commentator.
Old Today, 10:50 AM

Not yet had the pleasure of hearing Stephens as a commentator. Seems like he does OK from what I've read about him. Would like to give him a listen.

McEwen, Hatch and Blythe are all very good. I reallyy enjoy listening to Sean Kelly's strong Irish accent. It's a nice change from the Brits/Aussies, not that I have any issues with those. I think Bobke does alright, as well.

As much as Phil is the voice of American cycling, with all the mistakes it gets a little cringy for me. With all due respect, he needs to hang it up.
Old Today, 11:43 AM
cmg

Stevens is a good presenter, keeps the conversation going. Presents background information when it's helpful.