Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2022, 04:44 PM

A lot of the reason 1 x is here is mountain bikes.

Dropper post levers don't play well with LH shifters. Dual suspension bikes don't play very well with front derailleurs. 1 x is great for some applications.

I really like 2x (for my needs) on a gravel or mixed surface bike. I've got a 48x11 high and (at the moment) a 32*37 low. I can ride tarmac downhill with a stiff tail wind, and MTB trail uphill -as well as everything in between- and not really be out of my element gearing wise.
Old 12-21-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
The Ekar rear derailleur will definitely not work with 2 chain rings. It's specifically engineered for only 1 chain ring, much like the SRAM derailleurs.
Can you elaborate a little. What specifically is stopping the RD from working with 2x up front?
Old 12-21-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Can you elaborate a little. What specifically is stopping the RD from working with 2x up front?
Apparently a Shimano GRX clutch rear derailleur will work with a double up front so I'm presuming a EKAR might too?
Old 12-21-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
Apparently a Shimano GRX clutch rear derailleur will work with a double up front so I'm presuming a EKAR might too?
Different models of GRX for 1x and 2x
Old 12-21-2022, 08:28 PM

Oh okay, thanks.
Old 12-21-2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
For good quality shifting (particularly for indexed levers), a rear derailleur should maintain a constant chain gap (distance between jockey pulley and rear sprocket) as the derailleur moves across the different sprocket sizes in the cassette. The wider the range of the cassette, the more difficult this can be. One features often used on 1x rear derailleurs is a pulley cage whose top (jockey) pulley has a large offset from the cage pivot. As the derailleur moves between sprockets of different sizes, and the pulley cage rotates to take up the changes in chain slack, the jockey pulley will naturally move up and down due to this offset. With the correct jockey pulley offset distance, the top pulley can track a very wide differential in sprocket sizes.

But, a large jockey pulley offset can cause problems with a 2x system. The pulley cage will also react to differences in chainring size, also causing the jockey pulley to move up and down. In the small chainring this could cause the jockey pulley to rub against the sprockets, or in the large chainring the pulley could move so far away from the sprockets that shifting degrades. If you look at Shimano's various drivetrains that have both 1x and 2x variants, you'll see that the 1x rear derailleur typically has a large pulley offset and a larger maximum sprocket size than the 2x rear derailleurs. And for Campagnolo you can see a similar pattern - the 1x Ekar derailleur has a both a larger pulley offset and a larger maximum sprocket size than the 2x road derailleurs.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwerziou View Post
Yay! Great idea. See if the Ekar paddle can be moved over, while you're at it.
Since I gotta take the thumb button off to access the 13s shift disc, I'll be able to see.

When I get into this, I'll pass it along to my buddy at Campagnolo, NA, just for info, not that they might do such a thing. Hope it doesn't get back to Valentino..he may revoke my Campagnolo tattoo...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-22-2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old Today, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Since I gotta take the thumb button off to access the 13s shift disc, I'll be able to see.

When I get into this, I'll pass it along to my buddy at Campagnolo, NA, just for info, not that they might do such a thing. Hope it doesn't get back to Valentino..he may revoke my Campagnolo tattoo...
Bumping up this thread since google steered me towards it. As I understand it from oldpotatoe, he tried putting the 13s disc in a C12 lever and it was a no-go.

As I understand it, the ONLY option for 1x13 mechanical shifting is the Ratio kit in a SRAM lever. https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...v=0b3b97fa6688 If there's a 13s bar end shifter, I don't know of it.

@oldpotatoe, if I have this wrong, please correct.
Old Today, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
Bumping up this thread since google steered me towards it. As I understand it from oldpotatoe, he tried putting the 13s disc in a C12 lever and it was a no-go.

As I understand it, the ONLY option for 1x13 mechanical shifting is the Ratio kit in a SRAM lever. https://ratiotechnology.com/product/...v=0b3b97fa6688 If there's a 13s bar end shifter, I don't know of it.

@oldpotatoe, if I have this wrong, please correct.
It would not indexed, But the Soma Uno shifter should be able to do ekar wifling