Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2024, 06:13 PM

Question for Reynolds disc wheel users

I have a new wheelset that is binding when I install it on the frame with TA. I notice that the rear wheel and the 15mm end caps that it came with say CL presumably for centerlock. I’m suspecting that the brake rotor side end cap is different as it feels like the centerlock lockring is pressing against it when I tighten it down.

Does your front brake side end cap say CL?
Old 10-08-2024, 07:49 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus07 View Post
I have a new wheelset that is binding when I install it on the frame with TA. I notice that the rear wheel and the 15mm end caps that it came with say CL presumably for centerlock. I’m suspecting that the brake rotor side end cap is different as it feels like the centerlock lockring is pressing against it when I tighten it down.

Would a lower profile lock ring fit without binding?
Old 10-08-2024, 07:51 PM

Same lockrings on the back work fine. I think I’m missing the correct end cap.
Old 10-08-2024, 08:07 PM

Are both end caps fully seated in the hub? Or did the DS and NDS get swapped? I’ve had both of these problems…
Old 10-08-2024, 08:08 PM

The two caps I have appear identical. The 15mm set and the rear set are not.
Old 10-09-2024, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicus07 View Post

Am I understanding correctly that you have a rear wheel with a 15mm through axle? or is it just the rear wheel end caps that say 15mm?

I wasn't aware that anyone makes rear wheels, even mountain bike rear wheels, with 15mm through axles.

Maybe the issue is that you need 12mm end caps on your rear wheel?
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

No, sorry for the confusion. The set came with 12mm and 15mm front caps and 12mm (unique drive and non drive) rear caps. The 15mm caps and the brake side rear cap say “CL” which I assumed was centerlock. The drive side says XD which matches the freehub. The only caps without CL are the front 12mm. So I wondered if I was missing the correct 12mm CL cap.

I called Reynolds and they told me that this was a known issue with some lockrings and had no official recommendations. Despite the above observations and hypothesis, the 12mm front caps are identical and don’t follow the pattern of the others.

The lockrings that I tried Shimano and TRP. So I guess those relatively unknown brands weren’t tested with their wheels. To make matters even more infuriating, those lockrings work just fine on the back. So to solve this issue I shimmed the rotor 1-2mm so the lockring wouldn’t bottom out and bind the axle.

This coupled with the worst factory rim tape job I have ever seen likely means that these are the last set of reynolds I buy, despite how awesome they might be.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
but not really

There are lockrings that look like typical Shimano cassette lockrings. I've had to use those in the past to fit wheels on particular frames.

BTW, have you used other wheels on this frame with the lockring that is now giving you difficulty?