Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 09:48 AM

I heard back from the shop late yesterday and they said it would be 1-1/2 weeks. I am not sure if that is to take care of the claim or a get a replacement fork. In any case I am really happy things are moving along and I have a time line.
Old Today, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Is there anywhere I can find the document that you referenced on Scribd?
I could not find it anywhere including Specialized web site.
I have a 54cm frame with 35mm of spacers plus I cut the fork an extra 5mm long. I am not sure if the black extension needed to be cut or not.
These instructions were not included with my frameset.
The instructions on the Scribd website referenced above were the instructions issued for the Tarmac SL7 expander wedge recall, and shows how to the replace the original expander plug with the new one. But the new Tarmac SL7 expander plug is the same one that is used on the current Tarmac SL8, so the process is likely similar. Depending on the web browser being used, the Scribd site allows you to see each page after watching a 10 second ad. I can view all the pages (after the delay for the ads) using the Edge browser on Windows. This video from GC performance shows the installation of the new expander plug in a Tarmac SL7 following the recall instructions, including sizing and cutting down the bottom wedge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRxvN-HmUE

I only had to cut a about 10-15mm off the bottom wedge on a size 54 Tarmac SL7 with 15 mm of spacers under the stem, so maybe the bottom wedge doesn't need to be cut alt all for your bike.
Old Today, 01:10 PM

Sounds like things are moving along.

If the fork isn't the color you want, I would myself try to retain the existing fork and then fashion a wedge-puller to push against the end of the steerer.
Trying to use a slide hammer against only perhaps a few hundred grams of fork weight would seem to require a much faster velocity to be applied to the slide, unless the end of the steerer could perhaps be perched on a thick wooden "washer" to be positioned on vise jaws opened just enough for the slide hammer's pull-rod to move through.

Probably though, having noted a jammed-in expander wedge, the dealer will not let that fork out of the door no matter what, and (if it really is damaged) that is very proper on their part.
Old Today, 01:27 PM

Usually warranty requires replacement part be damaged out (cut in half and photos sent) or sent back for recycle/analysis.
Old Today, 01:36 PM

If the expander was in fact installed improperly by a Specialized dealer, then any under-warranty repair should absolutely include proper paint match, lest the bike's resale value be severely reduced.
Old Today, 02:41 PM

I don't know yet what colors will be available.
The frame was not my favorite color in the first place but was the only color available at the time I bought it. Having a ridable bike is more important than color match to me. Its not a bike I am planning to ever sell although you never know if that might change.
Old Today, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Sounds like things are moving along.

If the fork isn't the color you want, I would myself try to retain the existing fork and then fashion a wedge-puller to push against the end of the steerer.
Trying to use a slide hammer against only perhaps a few hundred grams of fork weight would seem to require a much faster velocity to be applied to the slide, unless the end of the steerer could perhaps be perched on a thick wooden "washer" to be positioned on vise jaws opened just enough for the slide hammer's pull-rod to move through.

Probably though, having noted a jammed-in expander wedge, the dealer will not let that fork out of the door no matter what, and (if it really is damaged) that is very proper on their part.
I did discuss the puller option with the shop and they said that was a no go as putting too much pressure against the top of the tube could damage it. I don't think there is any possible way to use the existing fork except to cut the aluminum piece 5mm shorter or use a different non Specialized expansion plug. But the fork has been stressed so much they are saying it not safe to use.
Old Today, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I did discuss the puller option with the shop and they said that was a no go as putting too much pressure against the top of the tube could damage it. I don't think there is any possible way to use the existing fork except to cut the aluminum piece 5mm shorter or use a different non Specialized expansion plug. But the fork has been stressed so much they are saying it not safe to use.
As far as pulling the plug out, the end of the steerer may not be built take high forces, but the crown race is. So maybe you can sit a "sacrificial" headset bearing on the crown race seat, then put a metal tube over the steerer which rests on the bearing, and then pulling the plug by pressing against the top of the metal tube.

But the if the steerer has been compromised by hammering on the plug, then it may no longer be usable. I'm still confused on why, even after removing the rest of the expander plug, you continued to hammer on the bottom wedge? Wouldn't that just drive it in deeper and wedge it in more firmly?
Old Today, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
As far as pulling the plug out, the end of the steerer may not be built take high forces, but the crown race is. So maybe you can sit a "sacrificial" headset bearing on the crown race seat, then put a metal tube over the steerer which rests on the bearing, and then pulling the plug by pressing against the top of the metal tube.

But the if the steerer has been compromised by hammering on the plug, then it may no longer be usable. I'm still confused on why, even after removing the rest of the expander plug, you continued to hammer on the bottom wedge? Wouldn't that just drive it in deeper and wedge it in more firmly?
I had exactly the same thought about the metal tube, but didn't think about using a bearing.

I continued to hammer on it because that is what all the videos instructed and the shop told me it could take some force. Knowing what I know now I would not have done more than light taps. I am not sure what the expander plug is stuck on since it seems the black extension did not need cutting in my case. It seems there is something inside the steerer tube that it is forced against and that it should have came loose on the first hit which it did not.
Old Today, 05:02 PM
50 bpm

Specialized's warranty dept. has been the ****z since Taylor left. At one point turnaround was +21 days. On Wednesday it posted on the B2B site that the wait was now 4 days.