Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2024, 02:52 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
hang in there, keith. My heart goes out to anyone having to do all that stuff with what you’re dealing with.
Old 10-08-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I'm beginning to wonder why I live here. About 15 miles NE of Orlando. Sure....our damage probably won't be too bad....busted gates, a few roof tiles gone, etc. But for those on W coast, roads already clogged....bumper to bumper on I 75 N. Governor who claims climate change a hoax, etc. Local governments doing their best to pave or build on every square foot in spite of land preservations written in local laws. Developers find a way around. Seems like about everywhere has some kind of natural disaster eventually.
My brother is in Longwood. Hope it doesn't hit you guys too hard.
Old 10-10-2024, 10:57 AM

A quick update from the Tampa area. I am northeast of downtown and far enough inland that I am not located in any sort of flood/evacuation zone. I am well prepared and follow the "run from water, hide from wind" strategy. It was a long night but I have power and A/C this morning, many do not. The slight turn to the south made the eye of the storm make landfall south of the Bay which was great news for Tampa. The winds literally emptied the bay pushing water out before what surge we had came back but not to the severity it would have been if the the eye made landfall north of the bay. Our good fortune means our neighbors to the south took the full impact of both wind and water. That is always a difficult concept to wrestle with knowing my home is safe because someone else had a much worse experience.
Old 10-10-2024, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Very sad to hear of more deaths and lots of destruction. Tornados? Craziness.

I feel for those effected. I predict some zip codes are going to become uninsurable. I know a good buddy of mine lost a few vehicles in the last round of storms. I'll assume he got an insurance payout, but how many times is that going to work?

I'm not sure how some people will recover from this.

My best wishes to all down there, hang in there!
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

I evacuated Monday for Milton. Drove to Orlando in middle of night (the only option) to get out since TPA was a no go and oh by the way thanks American Airlines for increasing the price of 1-way tickets that Sat. night and even Sun. morning were about $490 each and by night were ~$3k each. Stay classy.

Car went for an underwater swim in Helene and is toast, which sucks. Most importantly though, bikes are fine.

Know folks who lost far worse. Stuff can be replaced, people can't.
Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
oh by the way thanks American Airlines for increasing the price of 1-way tickets that Sat. night and even Sun. morning were about $490 each and by night were ~$3k each. Stay classy.
I hope they get called on the carpet for that one. That's a pretty crappy move in the middle of an emergency situation.

Sorry for your troubles 54. As you mentioned, could be a lot worse, but still, sucks.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Keith we all hope you fared well. East side sure got whalloped with some crazy tornados. Pics and vids from friends were hard to believe. Thought it was Kansas, but no, it was West Palm….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Just finished buttoning up our office and did 1/2 my house last night -- going to finish the rest of the house this afternoon. I tell you, it is certainly hard doing these things with a traumatic brain injury, and I still don't have my right field vision :-(
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
I evacuated Monday for Milton. Drove to Orlando in middle of night (the only option) to get out since TPA was a no go and oh by the way thanks American Airlines for increasing the price of 1-way tickets that Sat. night and even Sun. morning were about $490 each and by night were ~$3k each. Stay classy.

Car went for an underwater swim in Helene and is toast, which sucks. Most importantly though, bikes are fine.

Know folks who lost far worse. Stuff can be replaced, people can't.

54ny77
Glad you’re ok, crazy to see in the news about what’s happening where you are.
(Hope the Pogliaghi is ok too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Today, 08:03 AM

Poghi is safe and sound.

Milton could have been far worse. Helene ravaged so many across multiple states. Terrible tragedies and loss of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
54ny77
Glad you’re ok, crazy to see in the news about what’s happening where you are.
(Hope the Pogliaghi is ok too)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
blue state bailout, failed state