Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Today, 01:02 PM

i'm always interested in hearing about "undiscovered" towns that seems to check all the relevant boxes: close to varied outdoors activities, low/mid cost of living, and decently paying jobs nearby.

what is the work situation in front royal?
Old Today, 01:45 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
i'm always interested in hearing about "undiscovered" towns that seems to check all the relevant boxes: close to varied outdoors activities, low/mid cost of living, and decently paying jobs nearby.

Not a lot of good jobs. It's a very poor town in a very poor county surrounded by 6 or 7 of the wealthiest 10 counties in the country.
If you have the money for a good start up that will appeal to locals and tourists, there are opportunities. But I bet median income is in the 30-40k's.
If you don't mind commuting 30 minutes to Winchester, there are probably good professional and regular day job opportunities there.
Old Today, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post

You'd be surprised on how many commuters from that area (and beyond like WV) that would go, pre Covid, to the DC burbs like Fairfax County or into DC proper. With working from home more, a lot of people have ventured further out. So if you have a flexible job, you can do it.
Old Today, 02:58 PM

I remember people commuting all the way to DC from Front Royal in the 90's. I imagine that would be a lot worse today though as mentioned if you had a remote or remote hybrid it would be doable for many people.
Old Today, 03:07 PM
Administrator

DC seems to be one of those metros that people are accepting really long commutes to either get some space or affordable housing.

Long commutes are really soul crushing wastes of life.

Telecommuting for those that are able is really a godsend for some people.
Old Today, 04:05 PM

Here, short commute, extremely long time. If I wanted to go to Milpitas for dinner from West San Jose, it would take me more than 40 - 60 minutes for 10 miles. Luckily, I live 1.5 miles from work.