Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
Randomhead

Shimano is really playing with fire if they are sending back cranks. I guess meeting their obligations and protecting themselves from lawsuits is starting to hurt financially and they are just gambling now.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernium View Post
For what it is worth, I have upgraded to the new 12 speed cranksets on all my 11 speed groupset bikes. No real issues with front shifting after re-adjusting the limit screws and indexing.
I also ran a 12-speed Ultegra crank with my 11-speed group to avoid any issues with the recalled cranks. It worked fine.

I’m now running Chorus 12-speed and prefer the hood shape, thumb shifters, and shift feel to the Ultegra 11-speed (which was problem free for me).

Last edited by Xrslug; Today at 09:09 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

Why a store would put themselves thru this with a customer is beyond me. If it ever got wet, exposed to sweat or cleaned with a degreaser...it fails. Your LBS did not do you a solid

For the record, the praxis sorta blows as a result of their spindle standard. The dub or the hollow tech standard is better for a bb. The praxis is kinda dumb...gxp, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
My LBS (which is awesome— no complaints whatsoever) sent my Ultegra cranks to Shimano even though they passed the mechanic’s inspection. My chainrings are worn, so I hoped to get a new crank rather than buying new rings for one that could still fail down the road. Shimano said the cranks are fine and are sending them back. So— buy new rings or bail and buy a different crankset? Praxis?

David
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Why a store would put themselves thru this with a customer is beyond me. If it ever got wet, exposed to sweat or cleaned with a degreaser...it fails. Your LBS did not do you a solid

For the record, the praxis sorta blows as a result of their spindle standard. The dub or the hollow tech standard is better for a bb. The praxis is kinda dumb...gxp, too
Not sure what my LBS did wrong? They examined the crank and didn’t find an issue. Despite this they listened to my concerns and sent it to Shimano anyway. It was Shimano who decided to send it back and declare it fine and dandy. What else should my LBS have done?

David
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
My LBS (which is awesome— no complaints whatsoever) sent my Ultegra cranks to Shimano even though they passed the mechanic’s inspection. My chainrings are worn, so I hoped to get a new crank rather than buying new rings for one that could still fail down the road. Shimano said the cranks are fine and are sending them back. So— buy new rings or bail and buy a different crankset? Praxis?

David
I get that peanut shat on Praxis and I've read comments about their bb and spindle interface, but I have only ever been impressed by my Praxis Zayante cranks and the customer service of Praxis.

- Zayante was a solid combo of quality and price when it was offered in aluminum.
- I broke a Zayante crank arm due to my mistake when I put it back on after cleaning, but Praxis sent me a replacement for free.
- The crankset is super easy and fast to install and remove(despite my aforementioned error).
- The bb tool interface is way better than Shimano.
- Customer Service talked me thru the two types of chainring mounts that I have and ensured I was good to go when I was changing the rings on one to a 48/31t setup on my geavel bike.
- They have lasted years, shift quickly, and shift quietly. Not much more I want from a crank.
Old Today, 07:02 AM

All they had to do was click the "fail" button

Long term, a new crank is the best option for everyone involved. The replacement is different enough that I would say the ones affected by the inspection process are pretty much unusable

Quote:
Not sure what my LBS did wrong? They examined the crank and didn’t find an issue. Despite this they listened to my concerns and sent it to Shimano anyway. It was Shimano who decided to send it back and declare it fine and dandy. What else should my LBS have done?

David
Old Today, 07:25 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

David
I think your LBS did everything right BUT, I think shimano is playing with fire when they 'inspect' a crank and say it's 'fine and dandy'...IMHO, the crank gig should have been a recall-return-replace with new and 'improved'.
Old Today, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
SRAM FDs have come a long way, in case you haven't tried a more recent iteration of their groupsets They are more sensitive to deviations from setup than Shimano is, but with the FD alignment tool (and the support wedges) that they send out with the newer groupsets, you would have to be a sloppy mechanic to set the FD up incorrectly.
I’ve found the “yaw” derailleurs to be excellent, and in a lot of ways, better than new Shimano front derailleurs. The shifting action on the R8000 FD I used was better than the SRAM Force22, but I really like how no trimming is required on the yaw design.

The SRAM FDs of the previous gen were awful though, and while I haven’t owned an AXS bike, it seems like the people I ride with on AXS drop chains all the time when shifting the front. That’s probably setup related, but if something is that difficult to setup, maybe something needs to change in the design to make it a bit simpler? Again, never owned anything AXS so I can’t say firsthand what it’s like to live with.
Old Today, 09:19 AM

SRAM eTap and AXS FDs when they were first released used to be tricky to set up because you had to line up the two lines visually with the chainring, which was imprecise to say the least... Nowadays, SRAM ships the FDs with a setup tool which takes all the guesswork out of the equation. As long as one uses that, along with the correct support wedge, then it should be all good. It also used to be that that the support wedge bolt was accessed from the inboard part of the FD, which was a total PITA on some frames, but now they have revised it so that it is accessed from the outboard side which makes it even easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothwem View Post
The SRAM FDs of the previous gen were awful though, and while I haven’t owned an AXS bike, it seems like the people I ride with on AXS drop chains all the time when shifting the front. That’s probably setup related, but if something is that difficult to setup, maybe something needs to change in the design to make it a bit simpler? Again, never owned anything AXS so I can’t say firsthand what it’s like to live with.

Last edited by fa63; Today at 12:48 PM.
Old Today, 10:19 AM

Interesting, I did not see a FD setup tool, I did see the wedges though. I did find the FD AXS as a bit of a grey zone to fine tune. This is frame dependent though, specially if using a carbon clamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro