Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Meh

PDW Fenders + Fork with attachment rear of crown

These are great fenders, but in attempting to bolt them onto my Ritchey Outback this morning, I discovered that they do not play nicely out of the box with the "rear" fender mount on the fork crown. The mounting bracket on the front fender is fixed in place, and the resulting attachment at the rear of the fork results in an unusable fender line - wheel frozen in place, fender way out behind the front wheel.

The stays are already pushed into the adjustable safety tabs as far as they will go, out of the box.

Yes, I know the fork should have a proper hole all the way through so that I can mount the bracket at the front with a bolt and nut. Oh well. I know the Columbus Futura forks are also guilty of this sin.

I'm presuming the fix here is to hacksaw 3cm or so off the stays to restore the intended fender line. Any other thoughts before I get to cutting?
Old 12-07-2023, 01:38 PM

I was able to do this on a couple sets of fenders for my gravel bikes over the years. On one the front bracket was held by 2 rivets, I drilled one out and rotated 180* so it fit better behind the fork. These were planet bike hardcore 26" fenders that work fine for 27.5 and 700c FYI and not quite full "rando" coverage. Another one I removed the bracket and got a clamp on metal bracket like this one then secured it with a nut and bolt (it actually holds pretty well without the nut but since it was the front...) Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:58 PM
Meh

Thank you! That's a great call on replacing the hanger. PDW sells replacement rear hangers (https://ridepdw.com/collections/fend...le-rear-hanger) that can also be used on the front in my situation, and the front hanger tab can be easily removed as it is bolted rather than riveted on.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:54 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
I'm presuming the fix here is to hacksaw 3cm or so off the stays to restore the intended fender line. Any other thoughts before I get to cutting?
I run the 55mm PDWs. Used a dremel, but other than that, yes, that was what I did. On the plus side it worked great.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:04 PM

I've had fender fit issues on multiple carbon forks and the fix usually is some made-up transition piece between the fork and fender hanger. I feel you here!
Old 12-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I've had fender fit issues on multiple carbon forks and the fix usually is some made-up transition piece between the fork and fender hanger. I feel you here!
Totally, this is the second time I've had this issue - the first time was Honjos with the Columbus Futura Cross fork. Not sure why carbon forks can't have a proper crown mount. Even the Enve Adventure Fork looks like it screwed this up - there's threaded holes on both sides rather than a thru-hole.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Totally, this is the second time I've had this issue - the first time was Honjos with the Columbus Futura Cross fork. Not sure why carbon forks can't have a proper crown mount. Even the Enve Adventure Fork looks like it screwed this up - there's threaded holes on both sides rather than a thru-hole.
These are the various bodges to fit Planet Bike Cascadia ALX fenders to my Habanero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5829.jpg (95.3 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5827.jpg (63.4 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5831.jpg (51.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5830.jpg (59.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 12-07-2023, 05:21 PM

The PDW stays are meant to be cut I believe. It’s very easy to do so with some cable cutters. I’ve had to trim them to some degree all the times I’ve installed them.
Old 12-07-2023, 08:09 PM
v a n i l l a

sheldon nuts?
Old 12-07-2023, 08:56 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
It’s a disc brake frame.
Old 12-09-2023, 11:19 AM
Meh

Well, the hacksaw approach worked out pretty well, and I'm glad I went that route - in addition to taking 3 cm off the front stays, I needed to remove 1cm off the ends of both rear stays. PDW should probably be a bit more up-front in their instructions on the possibility of this being a requirement.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:19 PM

Looks GREAT! Nice work
Old 12-09-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Well, the hacksaw approach worked out pretty well, and I'm glad I went that route - in addition to taking 3 cm off the front stays, I needed to remove 1cm off the ends of both rear stays. PDW should probably be a bit more up-front in their instructions on the possibility of this being a requirement.
All's well that ends well - looks great
Old 12-09-2023, 05:17 PM

Fender stays always need trimming. Bikes have all sorts of eyelet positions, and so they need to give you enough fender-stay to make it work.

Instagram
Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

Quote:
What do you have here for tire width and fender width?
The clearances look great.

Instagram