Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 08:54 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
I love my Epic hardtail with big 2.4 Rekon Race tires ran at low pressures. So much fun and a little over 20 pounds. With some lightweight tires it could be under 20 pounds easy.
This is what I’d lean toward if I were hard tail shopping. Light and xc-ish. I’ve no interest in big chunk on a hard tail, just big climbs and big long rides.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:37 AM

Totally depends on terrain. I never ride downhill, always XC, so for me, weight was the main criterion. Wanted carbon, ended up with 853 and couldn't be happier. I think it has a 71 HTA, so very unfashionable. Works great.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:57 AM

The current Epic hardtail comes from the same frame molds as the former S-Works frame but it uses less expensive carbon fiber sheets that is more durable but also weighs a little more. It's still very light though.
Old 05-18-2024, 06:36 AM

I have a 2021 Steel Kona Honzo, I find it significantly more confidence inspiring than any steel hardtail I've had before. I reach for it over my Stumpjumper more than half the time, sometimes I forget I'm not on a f/s bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H1.jpg (160.0 KB, 218 views)
Old 05-18-2024, 07:39 AM

Definitely watch Steve's HT party videoos on YouTube.
Old 10-07-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Given the terrain in question, and if you're willing to go a bit fancy, the new Neuhaus HBSL looks pretty sweet - $3000 for a made-to-order Ti frame with Cerakote, and some sweet complete builds as well:

https://www.neuhausmetalworks.com/store/p/hbsl

I've got nothing but praise for Nick's sizing approach.
Bumpity bump... have any fellow Paceliners put eyes on, or better yet legs over, a HBSL?

Thinking ahead to next season, and this is bubbling to the top of the list for a do-it-all, mostly gravel, but trail-capable bike. A mix of bike-packing (usually 3-4 day), local suburban trail (mostly green, some blue), etc.

I have an older Niner Sir9 that fills this niche today, but it's usually set-up single speed. Plus, it's not boost (so no wheel swaps with my Fuel).

Could go two directions with a build... more gravel/bikepacking focused, with a carbon fork and Force XPLR drivetrain (but with flat bar AXS pods). Or, a normal mid-grade mountain build (SID or SC fork, GX Transmission drivetrain).
Old 10-07-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Bumpity bump... have any fellow Paceliners put eyes on, or better yet legs over, a HBSL?

Thinking ahead to next season, and this is bubbling to the top of the list for a do-it-all, mostly gravel, but trail-capable bike. A mix of bike-packing (usually 3-4 day), local suburban trail (mostly green, some blue), etc.

I have an older Niner Sir9 that fills this niche today, but it's usually set-up single speed. Plus, it's not boost (so no wheel swaps with my Fuel).

Could go two directions with a build... more gravel/bikepacking focused, with a carbon fork and Force XPLR drivetrain (but with flat bar AXS pods). Or, a normal mid-grade mountain build (SID or SC fork, GX Transmission drivetrain).
I have not ridden an HBSL but I do have a Turner Nitrous that I love. Have you considered a Turner? American designed but produced in Asia so you’re not going to have the detail of something built in the US but you’ll have a very good riding frame with direct contact with David Turner himself. He also has a 25% off of everything sale right now as well.
Old 10-07-2024, 01:09 PM

I demo'ed an HBSL on a 30 mile route of fire roads around Mt. Tam this weekend and had an absolute blast. Really lightweight and zippy, turns on a time and descends really playfully.
Old 10-07-2024, 01:10 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaddyWatts View Post
I have not ridden an HBSL but I do have a Turner Nitrous that I love. Have you considered a Turner? American designed but produced in Asia so you’re not going to have the detail of something built in the US but you’ll have a very good riding frame with direct contact with David Turner himself. He also has a 25% off of everything sale right now as well.
I've looked at it. And if I was looking for a trail bike, I'd probably own one already. But, I think 100-110mm travel, slightly steeper angles, and shorter CSs will work better for my intended use (I'll continue to use my Fuel EX for any "real" trail).

I also considered the Fairlight Holt, but I'm sort of at a point where I want a "forever" bike. I've been really happy with the Niner Sir 9 (circa 2015, pre-major redesign), and mostly just want a newer, lighter, "better" version.

Custom steel would be another option. Maybe from Manzanita - his super lightweight build from a year or two ago would be right up my alley too.
Old 10-07-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I finally sold my 26" Ibis Mojo SL a couple months back and have been thinking about a hardtail as I just like the simplicity of a hardtail I think..

I got an email from "Singletracks" with a list of new, long-travel, slack HT hardtails.. it got me wondering if there was a HT angle that would be too slack for what most hardtail folks, who aren't doing a bunch of dirt jumping, might want.. also, is 180mm of travel too much for a hardtail?

I know we have quite a few MTB riders in here, so.. I'll link the current article and the list they linked from 2018 for reference..

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gea...&utm_campaign=

2018 list-
https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gea...ain-bikes-get/

Thanks!
I think you really have to be honest with yourself about your local, frequently-ridden trails and your own abilities and goals.

Yes, there are hardtails that can run a 180mm fork. No, most riders have no need for those bikes bike (nor a FS bike with 180mm, for that matter). Most people live near trails in rolling terrain and don't hit the sorts of speeds a bike with a 62 degree HTA thrive at. A bike like that is fantastic in wide-open terrain at high speeds, and a pig everywhere else.

The earlier recommendation of a Ibis DV9 is really solid. Slack enough to be fun on DH, can still climb well, and just fine on average trails. Light enough to be manageable. A great all-rounder, as are most XC/DC bikes now.
Old 10-07-2024, 05:42 PM
Cat herder

Go custom and get a Built HT. You will not be disappointed.