Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
This, I quickly learned in Tucson that for most ‘gravel’ roads I’d rather be on my hardtail with flat bars than a drop bar bike with 40mm tires.
I’ve a full suspension mtb with faster XC tires I frequently use now for dirt road riding. It’s faster in most conditions than the gravel bike and is way more comfortable.
Old 10-03-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
This, I quickly learned in Tucson that for most ‘gravel’ roads I’d rather be on my hardtail with flat bars than a drop bar bike with 40mm tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I’ve a full suspension mtb with faster XC tires I frequently use now for dirt road riding. It’s faster in most conditions than the gravel bike and is way more comfortable.
I'm with both of you on this. Even the "good" gravel routes out here are best approached with tires that would look more appropriate on an XC mtb. After suffering through Willow Spings post-monsoon on 40s I broke down and bought a FS XC bike. I'm having way more fun now and although I keep wanting to give dropbar gravel another shot, I'm just so much more comfortable on the mtb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemixRob4 View Post
I'm considering a winter trip to do the lael Wilcox Mount lemmon published route on bikepacking.com - the Redington - lemmon loop

Oof... I know these roads well and you'll want to be very careful with tire choice. The Oracle Control Road (back side of lemmon) is very steep and rutted. I simply wouldn't wand to ride it on a gravel bike, or even a hardtail mtb. You used to be able to drive it in a passenger car certain times of year, but those days are long gone.

The road through Reddington pass isn't as bad, but it gets a lot of traffic so depending on the last time the forest service graded it you could be in for some pain. I drove it from the Tucson side to the AZ trail intersection in November 2021 and it was pure hell. I can't imagine doing it on a gravel bike. Some time later it was regraded and was fantastic until the next monsoon season. AFAIK it's back to being absolute crap.
Old 10-03-2024, 05:50 PM

Yeah I'm just going to shod my ti bike with as big and as well suited a pair of tires as I can get and then just YOLO it from there. It'll be SS so I'll be hiking regardless but that's half the fun for me.
Old 10-03-2024, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap_az View Post
I'm with both of you on this. Even the "good" gravel routes out here are best approached with tires that would look more appropriate on an XC mtb. After suffering through Willow Spings post-monsoon on 40s I broke down and bought a FS XC bike. I'm having way more fun now and although I keep wanting to give dropbar gravel another shot, I'm just so much more comfortable on the mtb.

Oof... I know these roads well and you'll want to be very careful with tire choice. The Oracle Control Road (back side of lemmon) is very steep and rutted. I simply wouldn't wand to ride it on a gravel bike, or even a hardtail mtb. You used to be able to drive it in a passenger car certain times of year, but those days are long gone.

The road through Reddington pass isn't as bad, but it gets a lot of traffic so depending on the last time the forest service graded it you could be in for some pain. I drove it from the Tucson side to the AZ trail intersection in November 2021 and it was pure hell. I can't imagine doing it on a gravel bike. Some time later it was regraded and was fantastic until the next monsoon season. AFAIK it's back to being absolute crap.
I purchased a set of 650b wheels and 52c tires after riding in Patagonia last year. I used 700c rims with 40c WTB Vulpines last time, and wished I had far wider tires. I can only fit 45c tires on my gravel bike with my 700c wheels.

Last edited by djg21; 10-03-2024 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-03-2024, 06:29 PM

In either city, the best gravel roads are the canal roads. Flat, smooth, and crisscross the city so you can stop for lunch or beers.

The stuff about not many gravel roads in AZ is mostly true. I live north of Kingman and I ride on BLM and State Trust land which have many dirt roads maintained either by the BLM or the county. I always scout with my hardtail MTB before riding it on my gravel bike.

In the PHX area, I've ridden most trails at McDowell Mountain Park on my gravel bike with 40s. There is some loose stuff, just work the edges.

In the Tucson area, since you'll be there in the winter, you can leave in the morning for Sonoita and Patagonia, or hit the Sahuarita Trailhead for the AZT.

The whole state except Coconino County is dirt, certain areas are called roads.

If you're in Tucson, take your bikes to Saguaro NF East and do the loop. It's paved, one wide lane, and one-way. A loop is 8 miles and the scenery is spectacular. Best to park in the lot and ride in. It's like riding a giant pump track, sprint down the hill and let your momentum carry you up the next. Edit, there are only certain hours that cars are allowed.
Old 10-03-2024, 06:43 PM
litcrazy

We’ll be coming from New Mexico so we understand gravel to mean chunky. No tires under 2.1” for all of us and all with tread. Definitely not all road bikes.

I felt like I got a lot of hate on the forum for proposing to build my new gravel bike to fit 27.5”/2.6” mezcals. That’s what I’ve been riding in front and I’ve been loving it. It seems like some here appreciate this flavor of gravel.

I appreciate the suggestions and I’m looking forward to chatting on the phone for some more ideas.
Old 10-04-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemixRob4 View Post
I'm considering a winter trip to do the lael Wilcox Mount lemmon published route on bikepacking.com - the Redington - lemmon loop

Sarah swallows sky Island route also looks to include some great gravel riding That might be possible the credit card tour (or one long long day)
Sarah Swallow has a collection of routes published here. I've ridden about 30% of the roads she's highlighted, though maybe not connected the same way and I would concur that 45mm tires is the minimum and 2.2" is a lot more fun. But the whole area is beautiful in a very unique time and place way, and winter is a great time to be there.
Old 10-04-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
Sarah Swallow has a collection of routes published here. I've ridden about 30% of the roads she's highlighted, though maybe not connected the same way and I would concur that 45mm tires is the minimum and 2.2" is a lot more fun. But the whole area is beautiful in a very unique time and place way, and winter is a great time to be there.
Excellent route list thanks for sharing!
Old 10-05-2024, 07:13 AM

Following with interest as I am long overdue for a winter trip myself. I've used the bikepacking.com to piece together a tour in New Mexico a few years back. Most of the USA southwest routes on that site seem skewed to the mtb >2.0 tires, and while I was fine on 48 tires on my tour (peanut butter mud notwithstanding) I am wary of underbiking.

Have checked out the Sarah Swallow routes on bikepacking.com as well as their RWGPS collections. Again references to chunky terrain abound-consistent with the comments here- but I do note the "gravel friendly" options on some.

In January it seems like a wild temp range from the teens to 80s F. That presents challenge, as does the increased chance of precipitation-snow as well as rain- and the dreaded peanut butter mud.

In New Mexico it was March and I had blizzard conditions one night and thought my tent was going to blow down. Then there was the crazy wind, and then getting stuck in that mud. All good but am looking for something a little less "epic" this time. Remoteness of Patagonia would not bother me.
Old 10-05-2024, 07:42 AM

The temperatures do swing wildly and in places like Patagonia you may have a higher probability of getting wet. It’s finally decent now in the very early AM with temps dropping to mid 70s in the lower elevations.

For those not used to very low humidity environments, temps in the 30s, imo, feel MUCH colder than 30s on the east coast. Anything below 70F feels cool to me here when not active i was in a down coat before starting tour of Tucson a few years ago, riding in it with my daughter in the pre event family ride… and by the end of the featured event it was nearly 80F.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 10-05-2024 at 07:47 AM.