Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
At the risk of being called a dummy...once a fork is a disc brake fork, are we really able to discern "ride characteristics"? Could a rider tell whether they had a carbon or Ti fork on a disc brake bike if unable to see the fork?
That's not a dumb question.
Disc forks can run the gamut in ride quality. For example, 2 carbon disc forks that have notably contrasting ride feel are the stout Enve Adventure fork and the Open U-Turn fork. The Open is considerably less chattery. That Enve fork is unyielding in any way. I think it follows that material differences can have an impact on ride feel as well.
That said, I don't know that one could discern if a fork feels specifically like carbon or titanium since neither of those has a singular quality.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 10-04-2024 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-04-2024, 10:51 AM
litcrazy

I recently got a steel Soma/Potts collaborative steel disc mountain fork, and I'm pleasantly surprised by what I perceive to be a smoothness. And this is comparing it to steel disc Salsa forks rather than much stiffer steel Surly forks I have used.
It does seem like disc requirements and modern testing create limits to the amount of flex/fluidity a production for can have, but I don't think they make all production forks ride just the same.