Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2024, 11:13 AM

Last time I did this, I flew into SF, got a cheap (and sketchy) motel in the Sunset, and rode the trails in Marin everyday for a week straight. Ate a giant burrito and a few beers for dinner every night. Didn't cost too much and I didn't fuss with any of the camping/touring stuff. Just rode hard on great routes. Was heaven.

Of course, this is of no use to you since you already live in the Bay Area. But just know that your backyard is ultimate cycling vacation for some of us.
Old 09-12-2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt_ View Post
Last time I did this, I flew into SF, got a cheap (and sketchy) motel in the Sunset, and rode the trails in Marin everyday for a week straight. Ate a giant burrito and a few beers for dinner every night. Didn't cost too much and I didn't fuss with any of the camping/touring stuff. Just rode hard on great routes. Was heaven.

Of course, this is of no use to you since you already live in the Bay Area. But just know that your backyard is ultimate cycling vacation for some of us.

Very grateful indeed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6119.jpg (137.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6464.jpg (93.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 09-12-2024, 04:16 PM

I just booked a trip to Girona between November 11th and 21st. Round-trip on Delta was $645, non-stop between Barcelona and Atlanta where I live (well, I actually paid zero because I had enough miles ) I then found a small studio apartment on AirBnB in Girona for $50/night. Might borrow my buddy's bike bag and take my own bike, or rent something fancy from the Service Course in Girona. Looks like there are gravel and road riding options galore, and the weather doesn't look bad even in mid November.
Old 09-12-2024, 05:19 PM

Lots of great loops to ride from Girona, and it doesn’t take too long to get out of the city. Amazing food at reasonable prices. We were there maybe 10 years ago, pre Service Course anyway, so we brought our own bikes and put the together in our vrbo rental. Only downside is Girona sees a LOT of cyclists, but I imagine you can live with that.
Old 09-12-2024, 06:41 PM

5-7 days, I'm staying state side. Not worth traveling to Europe for less than 10 days.
Old 09-13-2024, 05:10 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
I just booked a trip to Girona between November 11th and 21st. Round-trip on Delta was $645, non-stop between Barcelona and Atlanta where I live (well, I actually paid zero because I had enough miles ) I then found a small studio apartment on AirBnB in Girona for $50/night. Might borrow my buddy's bike bag and take my own bike, or rent something fancy from the Service Course in Girona. Looks like there are gravel and road riding options galore, and the weather doesn't look bad even in mid November.
I would think that Girona would be the one place in Europe you could feel pretty confident just showing up with helmet, shoes, kit, and stuff and score a really nice rental.
Old 09-13-2024, 05:26 AM

Probably Cliche/typical.... but Colorado front range area, specifically Boulder.

The mountain towns are amazing and have incredible riding, and the possibility of a day or 2 up there to ride is great... but in late November there may be snow on the ground already.

I just spent 2 weeks out there, 5 days in boulder, the rest in Summit county. Tons of great climbs/rides/gravel right out of downtown Boulder... seemingly endless options to be honest.
Old 10-04-2024, 09:08 AM

It's October and you will have typical perfect weather. This week it will be highs of low 70s at the coast tapering to mid-90s as you move east so choose your weather. No chance of rain.
OOPS! I meant to post this to the thread by the guy and his daughter who are heading to San Diego.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 10-04-2024 at 09:11 AM.