Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-2024, 08:50 PM

zwift hub - cassette or cog/click?

I just got a used zwift hub with 11 speed cassette. My bike is 12 speed so I need to get a cassette anyway but should I get the cog/click?
I want to be able to use the trainer also without a zwift subscription
Old 10-01-2024, 02:22 AM

Cog/Click are only supported by Zwift so if you get them instead of a regular 12s cassette you'll be locked into either Zwift or riding single speed mode (unless the app you use instead of Zwift has its own implementation of virtual shifting).
Old 10-01-2024, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrand View Post
Cog/Click are only supported by Zwift so if you get them instead of a regular 12s cassette you'll be locked into either Zwift or riding single speed mode (unless the app you use instead of Zwift has its own implementation of virtual shifting).
Ok has that been your experience? Because I read the opposite on Reddit but that didn't convince me
Old 10-01-2024, 05:38 AM

This may help - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/10/...ks-review.html
Old 10-01-2024, 07:50 AM

If your riding without Zwift is erg mode driven by a Garmin or TrainerRoad then it wouldn’t really matter if you had shifting functionality or not.
Old 10-01-2024, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
If your riding without Zwift is erg mode driven by a Garmin or TrainerRoad then it wouldn’t really matter if you had shifting functionality or not.
ok thanks that's helpful
Old 10-01-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
thanks I had seen that. He doesn't really answer the question of whether or not a zwift subscription is necessary.

Just pros and cons of each
Old 10-01-2024, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
thanks I had seen that. He doesn't really answer the question of whether or not a zwift subscription is necessary.
From the DCRainmaker wrap up section.....

Now, for single-bike/cassette-type consumers, whether or not you’d want to pick up the Cog over mechanical is a trickier question. While there are some minor benefits in terms of shifting under load or reduced noise in cross-chaining scenarios, those would, in my mind, be outweighed by the lack of support for other indoor cycling platforms. In other words, if you buy a Zwift Hub One, it only works on Zwift from a shifting standpoint. It doesn’t work with any other 3rd party apps. Certainly, you could remove the Zwift Cog and buy another cassette to put on there, but that’s a hurdle many might not want to deal with.

So I think you can use it without Zwift - would just need to control trainer with trainer app, or a 3rd party app that controls erg mode.

Last edited by KonaSS; 10-01-2024 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2024, 09:36 AM

thanks. basically i am coming from a very basic "dumb" indoor trainer.
I will probably just get a cassette to make it simpler. I really don't want to spend a ton of time messing around with the technology. And the review says it's slightly quieter.

My understanding is that the cog/click would work fine in erg mode because you don't shift anyway. the resistance changes in the trainer.

the cog/click seems great if I had multiple bikes with different drivetrains in the house. Which I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
From the DCRainmaker wrap up section.....

Now, for single-bike/cassette-type consumers, whether or not you’d want to pick up the Cog over mechanical is a trickier question. While there are some minor benefits in terms of shifting under load or reduced noise in cross-chaining scenarios, those would, in my mind, be outweighed by the lack of support for other indoor cycling platforms. In other words, if you buy a Zwift Hub One, it only works on Zwift from a shifting standpoint. It doesn’t work with any other 3rd party apps. Certainly, you could remove the Zwift Cog and buy another cassette to put on there, but that’s a hurdle many might not want to deal with.

So I think you can use it without Zwift - would just need to control trainer with trainer app, or a 3rd party app that controls erg mode.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:11 AM

If you're doing structured training with TrainerRoad or whatever other app, then the single cog setup is nice because you can swap bikes easily and don't have to worry about your RD being tuned between outdoor/indoor.

If you're riding Zwift, either free-riding or structured, then I'd pick the cog/click for the same reasons as above.

If you're riding a free ride system other than Zwift, you want a normal cassette because the cog/click is a Zwift feature.

To be clear, the virtual shifting is a Zwift feature (the app, not the trainer). While the trainer could implement virtual shifting, it doesn't have it today (neither do the Wahoo trainers unless there was an update this summer).

But, you don't need shifting at all for structure workouts - the power output is fixed, so you just leave the bike in a middle gear and let the internal resistance unit do its job.

FWIW, I do use multiple bikes (single-speed mountain, 12 speed mechanical mountain, and 12 speed road AXS), so the cog is my only solution. I also didn't feel like dropping mega-$$$ on yet another SRAM cassette.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:18 AM
Vendor

The downside of Cog/Click: Zwift only. So it's not for me because I use Rouvy.
The upside: It'll work with pretty much any bike, no need to change cassettes between bikes (especially nice if you are sharing the trainer with others) and no need to make rear derailleur adjustments when you put the bike on and take it off your trainer.
If I used Zwift, I'd probably go with that.
Old 10-01-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
But, you don't need shifting at all for structure workouts - the power output is fixed, so you just leave the bike in a middle gear and let the internal resistance unit do its job.
Yes and no. Even with a structured workout in Trainer Road I still shift some. This can be at the start of an interval for example if it has high power, low cadence/standing targets. Shifting gears can be quicker and more road feeling than just waiting for ERG to catch up.

Physical bike shifters have excellent tactile ergonomics as well.
Old 10-01-2024, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
Yes and no. Even with a structured workout in Trainer Road I still shift some. This can be at the start of an interval for example if it has high power, low cadence/standing targets. Shifting gears can be quicker and more road feeling than just waiting for ERG to catch up.

Physical bike shifters have excellent tactile ergonomics as well.
That's a great point about the ergonomics of the shifters vs the button thingy.

I ordered a cassette. it will work while the cogclick will definitely work with zwift and maybe without.
and the cassette I can put on a wheelset if I decide to get the clicky doodle later.

Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 10-01-2024 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2024, 07:51 PM

Virtual shifting is slow and the steps are not great A you need to use Zwift to calibrate the trainer.