Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2024, 02:10 PM

The saga continued today…
I could not get my hands on a roll of Kapton tape so went for a large roll of Tesa 4289 tape instead. Cleaned the rim bed with isopropyl alcohol and wrapped the tape around nice and tight in a double layer, since a single layer was too brittle.

Installed the tire, with tubes, and again the tire bulged around the valve
I had matching Reynolds tubeless valves that came with the wheelset, and installed these to try out a tubeless setup. I was able to inflate the tire up to 80 psi with a floor pump, but still, no pop.
To my frustration, even with tubeless valves the tire bulged near the valve, leading me to conclude that tubed or tubeless, there is no difference.

I took the tires off and I’m returning them tomorrow. This must be a tyre/rim compatibility issue, specific to Vittoria tires and reynolds wheels.

If anyone has a tire recommendation that is not made by Vittoria, I’m open for suggestions - I will stay away from tubeless tires.
Old 09-23-2024, 02:29 PM

As mentioned a couple times, just buy the TUBE TYPE Corsa N.Exts. They're quite nice, 90g lighter (220g vs 310g for 30-622) and should solve all your issues.

https://vittoria.com/products/corsa-...46921117008160

https://vittoria.com/products/corsa-...46921116746016

The tube type Conti 5000s are also great, light, fast rolling. Again, I would NOT purchase the TLR versions
Old 09-23-2024, 03:04 PM

Thanks Wunder, but I’ll stay away from Vittoria for a while.

I just installed the Corsa control’s (tube type) I had on my old wheel set on the carbon wheels: even they bulge. I don’t believe the third time is the charm here.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:19 PM

Go to a good shop. Something is wonky here.
Old 09-23-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oo0cH View Post

If anyone has a tire recommendation that is not made by Vittoria, I’m open for suggestions - I will stay away from tubeless tires.

if you like your panaracers, why not try the agilest? they're on my radar for my next tire. TRL, duro, light, and standard case so plenty of options and the standard case is super light itself. haven't really heard any ride reports though.

most comparable to the vittoria might be thechallenge strada pro

a little tricky to get mounted the first time because they are flat, no shape to them so a bit tough to squeeze a tube in but i managed. initially was dreading a flat for fear of not being able to get the job done roadside but i learned the tires take some shape after sitting mounted on a rim for a bit without a tube. flatted last weekend and it was standard tube swap.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
Something is wonky here.
Mmm hmm.
Old 10-01-2024, 02:30 PM

The book can be closed on this one. Received a pair of panaracer Agilest today (30mm, tube type). Tires went on like a glove, heard multiple satisfying “pops” and no bulges around the valve whatsoever (or anywhere else for that matter).

I’ll amount this to Vittoria, since two sets of tires, the tubeless Corsa next and the tubed Corsa control, bulged weirdly.

Test ride tomorrow before work
Old 10-01-2024, 03:37 PM

Forgive me if it's been asked or said, but did you try mounting either pair of Vittoria tires on a different set of wheels?

Tags
corsa, n.ext, reynolds, vittoria