Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2024, 10:28 AM

Anyone know other brands that use this specific chamois pad?

My seemingly never ending battle with saddle sores continues on! Really aggravating. A few years ago I was able to ride the same Rapha bibs I have on the same saddle I used with zero chamois cream and was totally fine. Now I get them after a 17 mile ride WITH chamois cream! Guess that's what happens with aging and body changes?

Looking for brands that use this specific pad. The only one I know of is Panache. I have one pair of bibs with this chamois and it doesn't agitate my common saddle sore development area...for lack of a better term. I've had them a long time and never had any issues with them come to think of it.

Old 09-28-2024, 10:45 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

When's the last time you had a bike fit?

Start there.

IME if your fit is off, saddle sores ensue

M
Old 09-28-2024, 10:53 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Some saddles also wear out.
Old 09-28-2024, 02:42 PM

Sorry no help. I’ve found that it’s impossible to anchor to a specific brand/model of short as it will be a completely different item within 1-2 years. You may be on the right track trying to just identify the chamois but even that is going to change pretty regularly.
Old 09-28-2024, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Some saddles also wear out.
Absolutely. All saddles and all bibs wear out. It might not be you.

Have you ever had foot pain that went away after buying a new pair of your favorite running shoes? Same thing here.

I would respectfully suggest ensuring you're using brand new bibs and a brand new saddle of the same kind that worked for you if you haven't already, before exploring other alternatives.

Last edited by dgauthier; 09-28-2024 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2024, 04:07 PM

Echoing an earlier statement, saddle sores are very often a symptom of a saddle that is too high. Though it is true, chamois and saddles do wear.
Old 09-28-2024, 06:09 PM

https://www.elasticinterface.com/brands/

That's an Elastic Interface (Cytech) pad, I'm not sure who else might use that exact version but their pads are the most common in quality bibs AFAIK. Including Assos, though they unfortunately don't use that one, it reminds me of some of the older ones they used though, I preferred them to some of the current ones. Q36.5, Velocio are two that have some similar pads off the top of my head, Eliel is another.
Old 09-29-2024, 02:47 PM

If you happen to fit this size, I came across this relative bargain.. I think the chamois looks pretty darn similar, albeit a different color

https://www.giro.com/p/mens-chrono-e...R-7138387.html
Old 09-29-2024, 05:25 PM

I think some of older Pedla bibs had that same chamois. I have a pair that the pad looks identical too. Also you can probably emai EIT and ask what pad is in the shorts you have. Send them the year , brand and a picture. I did that with a pair of Demarchi’s that split and they sent me a whole new bib. Of course I was stuck with the embarrassment of finishing the ride with split bibs. Luckily it was in Cape Cod which is pretty flat so I just stayed seated.
Old 09-30-2024, 07:50 PM

I agree with RobertBB above who mentioned making sure your saddle is not too high.

Also, make sure your bibs aren't too big. Something is sliding around instead of the shorts following the movement of your undercarriage.

Maybe try a different chamois creme? Assos adds a bit of anti-bacterial to theirs, so it might help. Plus the stuff is the gold standard for racers.

To minimize bacteria buildup, you might take a shower soon after a ride. Lounging around with a sports recovery drink (or a beer) for a while allows those little guys to multiple like...bacteria.
Old 09-30-2024, 08:49 PM

Trying to chase a specific elastic interphase chamois is a frustrating experience that i have experienced as well. It used to be that vendors will provide a pic of the chamois, that was helpful. For some reason pad pics are rare these days…
To complicate things, it is frequent that pads change from season to season in the same model. For instance, got a Q36.5 with a thinner, high density pad, well next season, same model changed to a thicker one, no way to tell until one received the item…
I did a photo shoot post here once on a bunch of chamois many years ago that it is irrelevant, as likely they have changed by now.
Old 10-01-2024, 03:07 PM

LJohnny, I've noticed that too. I'll speculate that it's because one company makes the pads for so many different bib short makers. The bib manufacturers don't want to advertise the same pad as their competitors, so Elastic Interface will supply them with pads in a different color or with a different stitching pattern. Plus the bib manufacturers want to tout constant improvement so they might choose to change colors or stitching for a new bike season.