Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
If she was an independent rider (no trade team) her support could have been minimal and/or inexperienced.

Too many what ifs to know all the hows and whys

BK
This was the junior road race, so I'd guess that means none of these were professional riders. In any case I would think the national team would have the responsibility for looking after riders.
Old 09-29-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
Exactly. It should shouldn't be. "Cycling is suffering" and its derivatives are stupid adages that get taken way too far and out of context, preventing common sense, or what ought to be common sense, to prevail over the sport's obsession with hardman posturing stupidity.
People are not chattel. It doesn't matter how much they are getting paid or how much time, money, and effort have gone into the organization of an event -from a local crit to the Tour de France. If conditions are unsafe, the event should be postponed, abbreviated, otherwise altered, or cancelled.

Where do we draw the safety line? That's something that a conversation between riders, management, and organizers can decide.

Watching that one World Tour Pro practically fall off his bike with hypothermia a few months ago after racing for hours in the freezing rain just makes me hate the sport of cycling. I will always love the activity, but I have zero love for the sport.
Well, I do love the sport, and guilty as charged that I don't think one of the most iconic scenes in the sport was our own Andy Hampsten ahead of Franco Chioccioli on the Gavia in the 1988 Giro d'Italia. But I also remember when pro hockey players didn't wear helmets and mouth guards too, now they all do.

I was reminded reading your post that they cancel baseball games if it rains not because players might slip and fall and injure themselves but to protect... The field!

"That's something that a conversation between riders, management, and organizers can decide. "

100%!