Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhell View Post
stem is redacted because it was given to me by a friend who doesnt want it pictured on the internet.
Is it an easily identifiable stolen stem?

The bike looks great, please let us know your ongoing ride impressions. People do seem to love these bikes.
Old 09-01-2024, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth View Post
Is it an easily identifiable stolen stem?

The bike looks great, please let us know your ongoing ride impressions. People do seem to love these bikes.
it's not stolen but it is rare and easily identifiable. it was given to him by our friend who works at the company that made and i guess he doesnt want them to know he traded it haha.

thank you all for your kind words about the build! ill have more to share once i do a longer ride.
Old 09-01-2024, 03:46 PM

Got in my first quality gravel ride today and I call the bike a success. It is very stable on all surfaces. Also like the 1x11 groupset. Clearly more gears would be nicer, 1x12 or 1x13, but this stuff worked well and I never really lacked for proper gearing. Another hilly Michigan gravel ride is planned for tomorrow, following the Barry-Roubaix course in Hastings for 36 miles, for those who are familiar.
Old 09-01-2024, 05:48 PM
aluminati

Quote:
finished my build today. i had most of the parts laying around so it was a no brainer. i love the metallic spruce or whatever it's called but i wish the whole frame were that color. although the cream color does go nicely with the spruce. i mainly hate the dumb stripes on the seat tube. stem is redacted because it was given to me by a friend who doesnt want it pictured on the internet.

i rode it in golden gate park and it shreds! it's so fast and feels very similar to the open wi.de i had but a little racier. it's very snappy and light and feels essentially like a carbon bike to me. it would be blisteringly fast with some carbon wheels. gonna do longer ride tomorrow.
where's that one fewer canyon sticker from lol
Old 09-02-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
where's that one fewer canyon sticker from lol
i made them. shoot me a DM if you want some!
Old 09-02-2024, 08:21 PM

Quote:
(...) it was given to him by our friend who works at the company that made and i guess he doesnt want them to know he traded it haha.
So stolen, yes.

Nice bike.
Old 09-02-2024, 11:32 PM

took the ride on a 50mi, 5,800ft elev, mostly offroad ride in Marin and it was excellent. i'm so sold on it. it's light, snappy, responsive, climbs and descends as well as you'd want in a modern gravel bike. i even think it's more fun than the Mog I had.
Old 09-03-2024, 11:27 AM

I gave the Crux a pretty good workout over the weekend, with about 72 miles of mostly gravel roads in west Michigan and about 4500' of vertical. The bike acquitted itself really well. It's stable in all circumstances, including soft gravel that is the surface that causes me the most anxiety. This one keeps the front wheel going forward. Washboard is handled with ease.

The GRX group is a joy to use though I can definitely say the 1x12 would probably be preferable. Beyond that it all worked really well and I like the sequential nature of this, especially in western MI where the climbs aren't all that long but are pretty steep and punch, meaning a rider goes from blasting downhill to uphill pretty quickly, where a shift from the big ring to the small means at least two shifts on the front to smaller cogs, followed immediately by further downshifting. The 1x drivetrain makes it all so much more intuitive. I doubt I'd go back to a 2x setup for gravel but I'm not sure it's where I want for paved road riding. I'll definitely be curious if we will see it in the Sram universe at some point again.

Other than wishing I had gone for 1x12 the bike is a huge success I think. It certainly passed the test for my current skill and fitness level.

Post ride is a bit dirtier than above. The dust doesn't show well in the digital pic. It's fairly dusty.

Old 09-24-2024, 04:52 PM

The aluminum Crux is back!

Finally received the frame I pre-ordered several months ago and got it built up. Short checkout ride today but all good so far. Impressed with the quality of the paint job and overall finish.

Old 09-24-2024, 05:24 PM
Vendor

Greg, that's a beautiful frameset. We have a couple on backorder, and I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. We actually just built up our first DSW Crux at the shop, the Comp model, this morning. Very nice riding bike, really smooth and quiet. I'd ride the heck out of this bike and never think twice about it being alloy and not carbon...but this is only a parking lot impression. This is my first experience with mechanical Apex AXS, and it's a sleeper top-notch groupset.

The lavender accents on the birch off-white frame are particularly nice here.
[IMG]Untitled by Michael Lock, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-24-2024, 08:30 PM

It’s a sweet looking frameset. I had a carbon one and really enjoyed it. Thought about getting aluminum one, but $1700 for the frame seems a bit steep.