Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2024, 02:33 PM

Bike position absolutely matters. Otherwise we wouldn't have different types.
Old 09-06-2024, 02:41 PM

Have a friend in similar position and recently bought this and loves it!

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/202...specifications
Old 09-06-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Rider View Post
Have a friend in similar position and recently bought this and loves it!

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/202...specifications
That is a cool bike, but too MTBish. I think she wants the handling of a road bike and 35mm tires.

I walked into a bike shop at lunch and saw a Liv Thrive - looked good.
Old 09-06-2024, 03:42 PM

I'm no expert, but if I were doing this for myself (and I have) I would choose a bike with "road" geometry (which may be all-road or whatever and the STA and HTA change a bit with the smaller sizes) and sufficient stack, get the rider's position over the BB set (crank arm length, saddle setback, saddle tilt) and then choose the handlebar width and angle preferred, then choose the stem to put it in the right place.

I might look at a Chinese carbon frame that fits your desired tire size.
Old 09-06-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
That is a cool bike, but too MTBish. I think she wants the handling of a road bike and 35mm tires.

I walked into a bike shop at lunch and saw a Liv Thrive - looked good.
The Marin Fairfax is probably a better choice for pavement…
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2024-fairfax-3

Build spec is lower, but it’s within your $1000 price point.
Old 09-06-2024, 05:45 PM

I'd look at a gravel bike. Clearance for wider tires. More upright as well.

With these bikes having been around for a while, you can find some decent used stuff for that price range.

There are also things like older cannondale synapses, trek domane, etc that will fit the bill.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:23 PM

Update: my buddy tried out a Domane this weekend and has decided she loves it so she is upping her budget to about $1700US - ($2500CAD). She asked is there is anything else she should look for before buying this one. I think they are very good bikes, right?

There is a Trek Silque for sale in Vancouver that is her size, looks virtually new and is cheap. Does anyone know the max tire size of these bikes? It didnt have a year, but I am guessing 2017-2020. Rim brakes.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
Update: my buddy tried out a Domane this weekend and has decided she loves it so she is upping her budget to about $1700US - ($2500CAD). She asked is there is anything else she should look for before buying this one. I think they are very good bikes, right?

There is a Trek Silque for sale in Vancouver that is her size, looks virtually new and is cheap. Does anyone know the max tire size of these bikes? It didnt have a year, but I am guessing 2017-2020. Rim brakes.

Thanks!
Domanes are good bikes. I think the frame has been revised 2-3 times now, so check the year/model on Trek's archive for original spec and tire clearance. Older rim brake models will only clear a 28-30mm tire, newer disc models will clear 38mm or so. Cheapest sub-models have cable-actuate brakes, which aren't my favorite.

The Silque is a more standard road geometry (vs endurance road for Domane). Again, tire clearance is going to be limited due to rim brake calipers.
Old 09-23-2024, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Domanes are good bikes. I think the frame has been revised 2-3 times now, so check the year/model on Trek's archive for original spec and tire clearance. Older rim brake models will only clear a 28-30mm tire, newer disc models will clear 38mm or so. Cheapest sub-models have cable-actuate brakes, which aren't my favorite.

The Silque is a more standard road geometry (vs endurance road for Domane). Again, tire clearance is going to be limited due to rim brake calipers.
It was a new one that she was looking at. She rode a carbon one, as they didnt have the alloy one in her size (classic ploy!) and she loved it. Who am I to stop her from blowing money on bikes?!

The Silque looks nice, but I kinda think having the option of 35mm tires opens up doors, though she said that sliding around on gravel sounds scary ;l)