Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2024, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Oh my aching back! Who can ride a bike like that with so much drop between the seat and handlebars? Looks like the seat tube is extended way up there and the seat can't be lowered much at all.
It has a carbon seatmast that can be cut down to size.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumablk View Post
Mama mia!!!! That is one spicy meatball.

Also - before someone points out other framesets costing that much, I feel the same way about those, too.
I'm probably naive, but ARE there other framesets that expensive? I've seen some around $10,000, but wouldn't a $15,000 be at the very high end of custom production frames (as opposed to the custom frames that aren't really intended to be sold to consumers)?
Old 09-12-2024, 02:47 PM
Meh

I think Prova and Bastion might be (roughly) in that range.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
This is certainly not the bike for everyone, but for the cyclist for whom an extra $15,000 means nothing, and you want to have something that stands out on a group ride, you could do a lot worse than this.
Basically this. I tell my customers at the shop 'never get the best thing in cycling, because the second or third best thing will usually provide you with the same experience. UNLESS you just adore the way the $15k bike looks or you want it for your ego, in which case absolutely go for it.
Old 09-12-2024, 03:49 PM

$10,000 frameset = Carbon fork
$15,000 frameset = Ti fork

My thoughts...
Old 09-12-2024, 04:05 PM

I love everything about how it looks. I think it's unsurprising that the bike is polarizing people, and I respect that. Mike said it's unlikely that No22 will be able to put couplers on this frame. He did not specify why, but my guess is the non-round tubes?

I'd have loved to make travel aero bike out of this, but without decouplers I'm on the fence.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:59 AM

$23,000 AUD for the frame !

https://ccache.cc/products/no-22-reactor-aero
Old 09-23-2024, 06:48 AM

ESTIMATED FRAMESET PRICE AT PRODUCTION LAUNCH: $15000-$23000
FIRST CUSTOMER DELIVERIES ANTICIPATED LATE 2025

When we first pulled the curtain back on the Reactor Aero prototype, we did so with more than a little trepidation. With development of this model beginning more than four years ago (with a significant Covid-related interruption), we still had an unanswered question: does the world want a full-gas aerodynamic titanium race bike?

Following the reception of the prototype's debut at the MADE show in Portland, we now know that the answer is a resounding yes.

----------------------
IDK, a lot of people may have had positive reactions at the show but does that really predict actual buyers? We shall see.

Tim
Old 09-23-2024, 06:57 AM
Administrator

I would do the same thing if I ran a high end brand like No22.

Keep the regular biz running as usual, but have a model or two that keeps pushing that ceiling higher and higher.

Every time you hook a big whale, you have to wonder: Is there a bigger one out there?
Old 09-23-2024, 07:15 AM
litcrazy

In this case, I wonder how much the r&d is costing. It seems expensive in a way that might really mandate substantial sales to be economically feasible.
Whereas a top tier frame with a crazy paint//ano job or super special lugs and a price to match wouldn't have the same investment.

It's hard to understand when I am so evidently not their target audience. I've lusted after some of their earlier, more traditional frames, but I'm also anything but an earlier adopter. #frictionshifting forever... though I did recently replace the 9 speed cassette on my road bike with a 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I would do the same thing if I ran a high end brand like No22.

Keep the regular biz running as usual, but have a model or two that keeps pushing that ceiling higher and higher.

Every time you hook a big whale, you have to wonder: Is there a bigger one out there?
Old 09-23-2024, 08:42 AM

Looks very cool to me.

I am not saying this is it, but I do think if someone gets it right 3D printed metal could start matching Carbon in performance while absolutely destroying it on production cost.

It really depends on whether someone can actually figure out a way to shave the required grams and/or increase the stiffness of the 3D printed frame. I really wonder how much they have studied non-hollow cross sections. If you could strategically print braces across some of the "joints" it might allow saving even more material to suddenly bring the weight down into the same range as carbon. It will probably just take time for someone to nail this down.

It's like once someone figures it out and can start using it at scale it is going to have dramatically less hand labor going into the frame and the price will certainly be better as carbon is really dependent on a lot of hand labor. A small manufacturer might not be able to make enough bikes to pay off the R&D and equipment to bring the prices down.. but if someone medium size or large (like Giant) does it the cost of the machinery is going to disappear in their large production runs.

Most signs are that this kind of manufacturing technology is going to be incredily useful in many, many areas, so bicycle manufacturing might eventually benefit from the larger scale the machinery gets sold at.