Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2024, 02:23 PM

Best Long Lasting Front Light? (Non-Dynamo)

Here's the deal: I'm doing a long commute a few nights of the week after dark. I've got a heavy duty bike with a dynamo hub and lights, works great.

But I'd like to switch it up on occasion and put some fast miles on my Cervelo Aspero (which doesn't have a dynamo) mostly for fun and to keep those commute miles interesting.

I've read a little bit about how people are using front lights that can run while charging and plugged into a power bank in a top tube bag or frame bag. Sounds like a cool setup that I'd like to try out, in part because I already have a a couple good power banks lying around.

So what are the good front lights that people are using these days that run while charging? Anyone have top picks for something like this?

(Was inspired to post this by Angry's question about new good tail lights.)
Old 09-16-2024, 02:59 PM

Have heard only great things about Exposure lights. Pricey and UK based are the main reason I haven't bought some.
Old 09-16-2024, 03:07 PM

The USA-made Outbound Detour allows pass-through charging.

I don't own one, but I'm planning on buying one soon.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/detour
Old 09-16-2024, 10:05 PM

How about this 1400 lumen Leznye for $100?

https://www.jensonusa.com/LEZYNE-MACRO-DRIVE-1400-FRONT

3hr runtime at full tilt, longer at lower settings. That should be plenty of light and runtime for most any application.

Niterider Lumina series is usually a safe bet as well. Not sure why you’d require charging while using the light, given the runtime and brightness of today’s LED lights.
Old 09-16-2024, 10:28 PM

+1 for the Lezyne. I’ve had mine for 4 years now and it’s still going strong.

IMO, best thing is to set it up with a garmin style mount underneath your GPS mount, so all it takes is a quarter turn to mount or remove. No more futzing around with the junky straps they provide, is still completely secure, and provides a clean look.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:31 AM
n - 1

How long is this commute that you’re looking at a power bank?
Old 09-17-2024, 06:41 AM

I don't know how long you are commuting for, but I have 2 different lights that I use every morning for an hour and a half 3 days in a row before they get recharged. One is an older Lezyne, I have had it for 10-12 years and it's still going strong, I re-charge it out of caution after 4 1/2 hours or 3 days of run time. I also bought a new Bontrager from a local shop a year ago just because I'm paranoid. I have used it the same way, 3 days and re-charge. I haven't noticed either one losing brightness during the run time. I rotate between the lights just to see if I notice any drop in performance warning me of impending failure.
Old 09-17-2024, 07:42 AM

Pass-through charging sounds a bit gimmicky to me... if you need a big runtime, why not run a lamp with an external battery pack from the get-go - should be more efficient and cheaper to produce.

Something like this...
https://lightandmotion.com/products/seca-race

6 hours runtime at 500 lumen (that's the LOW setting - at 2000 lumen, you still get 90 minutes). As somebody who started night riding back in the old halogen days, these specs are absolutely ridiculous. At it's <$200 right now.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
The USA-made Outbound Detour allows pass-through charging.

I don't own one, but I'm planning on buying one soon.

https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/detour
I ordered this light a couple weeks ago. Only used once at night, but it is nice. The nicest thing about this is that it will not blind oncoming traffic, the reflector is shaped to have a cutoff like automotive lights.

Other light I am using is the Klite race dynamo. I have other dynamo lights too - but for commuting, the outbound seems like a no brainer, but is on the expensive side.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Pass-through charging sounds a bit gimmicky to me... if you need a big runtime, why not run a lamp with an external battery pack from the get-go - should be more efficient and cheaper to produce.

Something like this...
https://lightandmotion.com/products/seca-race

6 hours runtime at 500 lumen (that's the LOW setting - at 2000 lumen, you still get 90 minutes). As somebody who started night riding back in the old halogen days, these specs are absolutely ridiculous. At it's <$200 right now.
I have an older version of this as well, but with a larger 6-cell battery. It’s a beast of a light.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:37 AM

I’m not sure how long you need the light to last, but I’ve had a great experience with the Lumina Micro 900 for my nighttime commutes. It’s compact and mounts upside down to a K-edge Combo mount with my Karoo2 on top.

I’m not sure how long the run-time would be continuous, but I think I get 2-3 nighttime commutes of about 30’ each before I think about recharging. Plus, they make longer-running models.