Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2024, 10:58 AM

ENVE SES Experience?

Curious to hear about other's experiences with the new-ish ENVE SES hookless rims. I recall a previous thread, but it did not provide many personal reviews, if I remember correctly. How has hookless been treating you?

Last edited by ZOOMZOOM123; 07-10-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-10-2024, 11:43 AM

I've been Enve hookless since 4.5AR came out... 2018 or 19..

anyways since then I have purchased:
G23
G27 (swapped to for G23)

and I plan to order a 4.5 rear with classified hub shell.

They have been good wheels for me.. no complaints. Hopefully one day they go carbon spokes because my Cadex 50 Ultras just look killer.
Old 07-10-2024, 11:50 AM

G23 for me with no issues.
Old 07-10-2024, 09:40 PM

I just got a set of the 4.5s with the Innerdrive hubs this summer. I love them thus far. These are my first Enve wheels. These are also the deepest I’ve used for a long time. They are very stable in winds and seem to really hit a sweet spot in some higher yaw conditions. I’m using them with 30mm tires and the entire setup is super fast.
Old 07-11-2024, 06:25 AM

My experience with the hookless ENVE 4.5's is the same as my hookless Zipp 303's and my hookless Zipp 404's- they're all great wheels, and I've had zero issues.
Old 07-11-2024, 11:57 AM

I appreciate all the responses. Are "blowouts" still an issue or is that resolved with proper tire selection and pressure?
Old 07-11-2024, 12:56 PM

I'll be the contrarian in this thread: I had to warranty a brand new front SES 3.4 for a rim defect (bulge) and Enve was utterly useless: the wheels were laced by Chris King, but carry an Enve warranty; Enve offered to replace the front with one of their own (in-house hub), rather than simply re-lacing to the King hub. I opted to have them ship a replacement rim to my LBS and the rebuild was at my cost.

In the past, I've had a set of 3.4 Gen2 (rim brake) that delamed and needed a crash replacement.

Honestly, don't waste your money on this stuff, especially for disc wheels. There's a smattering of high quality stuff out there that costs far less and will do the same job as an Enve wheel.

My personal fav. hoops are some MCFK25s laced to DT240s, but we've had great luck with i9.35s as well.
Old 07-11-2024, 02:43 PM
kg

I have Enve 4.5 wheels that I haven’t ridden yet. I will second the ****ty experience with Enve customer service. The wheels I brought brand new from an authorized dealer are overweight by a lot and one wheel is very poorly finished. It looks very different from its pair. Enve told me they would do nothing to address either issue.
Old 07-11-2024, 03:48 PM

My first ENVE experience was with crash replacement. Memory is fuzzy but I think they charged either $900 or $1000 for the replacement rims and then implemented a no cost crash replacement for their wheels less than two weeks later. Just inopportune timing on my part, really. I have no idea what their policy is now

And several years ago I received a set that was very poorly molded on the hooks and they replaced them. (ie. jagged edges/missing sections of hook, presumably due to voids)

I've gotten great performance from Chinese carbon rims for a fraction of the ENVE cost and I would never again own a wheel with internal nipples.
Old 07-11-2024, 05:09 PM

my buddy had crash replacement on a front 6.7. the charged him 50% but he also got his set from fleabay.. so that could of had something to do with it.
Old 09-16-2024, 05:45 PM

Crappy

Broke a rim brake front 3.4. RB rims were out of production per their fine print and not liable to replace, which i understand. Offered the latest generation 3.4 disc as replacement. Although the single disc wheel was useless for my needs, it seemed fair. When i inquired about cost to make it a set by including the rear 3.4 disc, the price was FULL MSRP plus shipping.

Had similar situation 5 or so years ago when a gen1 3.4 front broke and they couldn't replace the non-textured rim but offered a gen2(textured track & wider). When i inquired price to add gen2 rear they sold it to me for 50% off retail. Seemed like a fair and smart offering. Kept me riding enves, for sure.

Something is different.

Im done with em. Product is fine but plenty of other more reasonable priced like wheels out there.

Thanks, feel better.

Anybody wanna buy a current gen SES 3.4 front wheel?

Last edited by Dromen; 09-16-2024 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2024, 06:17 PM
Vendor

I’ve had several 3.4’s in rim and disc, 4.5 SES AR disc, G23, and AG25’s. Never a problem, personally. The wheels feel fantastic and though they don’t *feel* as fast as my Cadex 42’s and definitely the Cadex Ultra 50’s, my times are the same or close enough that it makes no difference. Very refined ride.

We have had some defective pairs in 10+ years of selling them at the shop. Warranty has always been fantastic, above and beyond, worth paying the premium price for.

They’re under very different management as of the last 6-10 months, so can’t vouch for them anymore as ‘best in the biz,’ but they usually take care of our customers well, if not ‘how do they stay in business while being do generous?’ well.