Old 08-16-2024, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
In NJ, USA this site returns

Playback denied: location;
Old 08-16-2024, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Hell on Wheels—sure, Rolf and Erik were bending the rules, but still a well made look into the profession at that time.
I am assuming you mean they were dopers. Which isn't bending the rules, it is breaking them. Not arguing with your recommendation, but let's just be honest here. I just find it weird how some cyclists get a pass on this, particularly if you are well liked and not an American.
Old 08-17-2024, 12:51 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I am assuming you mean they were dopers. Which isn't bending the rules, it is breaking them. Not arguing with your recommendation, but let's just be honest here. I just find it weird how some cyclists get a pass on this, particularly if you are well liked and not an American.
It is a very well made picture that gives an honest insight into what riding an event like the TdF is like, with less sugar coating than contemporary versions like those amazon prime documentaries. The fact that it makes us like some of the riders even though we today they were cheaters may serve as a reminder that real life is not a disney movie and there isnt only black and white.
Old 08-17-2024, 11:27 AM

A little obscure, but a facinating story: Alfred and Jakobine

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2964064/?ref_=m_tt_ch
Old 08-17-2024, 12:28 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I don’t disagree. I chose bending because we now know that there were public rules and private rules … seems Pat was giving them a wink and a free pass as long as they served his ends. They were certainly breaking the public rules.
Old 08-17-2024, 12:29 PM
what's a little rust?

Is there a good/available documentary about mountaineering in Antarctica?
Old 08-17-2024, 01:55 PM

I heard about this YouTube video on NPR the other day and had to check it out. Its four hours long so I must admit I skipped around a bit. And, I find the girl's voice a bit hard to listen to for that long. Still, hearing all the huge mistakes in judgement Disney has made boggles the mind. They are burning money with Star Wars, movies and streaming shows that bomb with audiences, Indiana Jones AND this new theme park. Must be some strong Kool Aid they have there.

The Spectacular Failure of the Star Wars Hotel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0CpOYZZZW4&t=13288s

Tim
Old 08-18-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
A musician friend of mine highly recommended this.
SO many great ones mentioned here... Seen a bunch and took a lot of notes.

Here's another one for the musician crowd.

Chops. About the 2008 Essential Ellington High School Jazz Competition.

I was in a decent HS orchestra+Jazz Ensemble...or so I thought. We couldn't carry this kids cases!
Old 08-18-2024, 11:15 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
Is there a good/available documentary about mountaineering in Antarctica?
There is one by the "Huberbuam" ("Huber Brothers)
https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/...ntarctica-1818
https://youtu.be/hrffxNR3ktc?si=69e4p6kAI0Q1g3EW

It's a bit hard to find online but still gets shown at festivals.
The "Huberbuam" also did "to the Limit" with Pepe Danquart, Oscar winning director of "hell on wheels", about the speed climb at el Capitan.

https://youtu.be/hfxyDT2sO10?si=zUXOJIcPW4KwGx1q
Old 08-19-2024, 01:45 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I can't recommend it personally because I haven't been able to find it on any of the streaming services to which I subscribe, but I've heard very good things about The Gatekeepers, interviews with the former leaders of Shin Bet.
I caved, paid the Amazon rental fee, and was glad to do it. Highly recommended.
Old 08-19-2024, 08:28 PM

I don't think anyone here has mentioned Frederick Wiseman's documentaries. I've seen a good number of them (the latest being Monrovia, Indiana). The ones that affected me most deeply were his series about disabilities made in 1986 in Alabama: Blind, Deaf, Adjustment and Work, and Multi-Handicapped. As in all his films, there are no interviews or voiceovers, but they really give you a feeling of what the people in the film experience.

You can find some of his films here: https://archive.org/search?query=cre...ick+Wiseman%22.

Last edited by fiamme red; 08-19-2024 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2024, 09:36 PM

A lot of good 30 for 30 documentaries - 9.79 is excellent and made approx 25 years after that race - it changed my perception of Johnson and Lewis.
Old 08-20-2024, 12:28 AM

To What Remains is a great documentary. It focuses on the recovery of MIA remains in the Pacific. A fixture from my youth, R.V. Burgin, a WW2 Marine in the Pacific, walks through the jungles of Peleliu describing the battles. He and and retired SEAL Marcus Luttrell (Lone Survivor) were good friends and Marcus accompanies him on the islands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8twdI2Q3no

It looks like it's on Amazon Prime now.
Old 09-16-2024, 04:10 PM

The greatest documentary you will never see?

I read a fascinating article in the NYT today about a doc on Prince that may be shelved in perpetuity. It was made by the director of “OJ: Made in America” and clocks in at an epic nine hours as befits the narrative of such an extraordinarily complex individual.

When I was growing up, there were two camps: The Michael Jackson Camp and the Prince Camp. Not to denigrate or diminish the KOP in any way, but it’s really no contest. What a profound legacy. I hope the doc will be released someday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/08/m...cumentary.html

“Imagine sustaining this density of character analysis for 520 more, which is what Edelman has done. In the process, he offers one answer to a question that has agonized the culture at large for the last decade. How should we think about artists whose moral failings are exposed? Edelman manages to present a deeply flawed person while still granting him his greatness — and his dignity. Wesley Morris, a critic at The Times and one of a small group of people who have seen the film, told me, “It’s one of the only works I have ever seen that approximates the experience of suffering with and suffering through and alongside genius.”