Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2024, 08:41 AM

I've been using WTB saddles forever. Never felt any need for anything else. They work just fine for me road and atb alike.
Old 09-16-2024, 08:48 AM
what's a little rust?

WTBs tend to just work for me. I haven’t even changed the stock saddle on my Ibis because it’s a WTB. My tuckus can’t abide that much plush on the road bike, however, so I use an SQLab 611 on the Hampsten.
Old 09-16-2024, 08:50 AM

Kind of a crazy question. Saddle comfort is so individual. One person's favorite saddle is another person's ass hatchet. Try a bunch, preferably ones that you can return if you don't like them.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:19 AM

Yah it's so personal. The aspect I'm talking about is not talked about much (in the marketing and elsewhere) so I was looking for feedback.

This is the WTB I've been riding, you can see the ultra flat left to right profile well in this picture. This is only a 129mm wide saddle:

This is the Glider which is 136mm.. but to me it feels dramatically narrower, it has to do with the slope of the wings, although this is not as good a photo:

As far as I can see there has been a dramatic trend towards more and more flat saddles when looked at from the back. A lot of the Specialized and Bontrager saddles have gone this way. A lot of newer saddles from Selle Italia (one of my old favorites) and Fizik (a more recent favorite) have also gone this way.

Maybe I'll check out the Arc. Not sure if it's newer and I just haven't run into it.

The SMP works great, so no big deal. The big deal with SMPs has always been the price but after I looked around I found them at Competive Cyclist for between $50-100 off normal price depending on color which helped. I wish I'd ordered a brown one as those were $100 off but they're gone now. I have at least 2 bikes the brown would look good on.

Last edited by benb; 09-16-2024 at 09:26 AM.