Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2024, 12:20 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertr View Post
Does the fork have fender mounts too?
I'm no longer at the shop (well, temporarily...traveled south for the weekend) but according to Vaast's website and a review I read, there are fender mounts. Use thereof will reduce the tire clearance from a stated 30 to a stated 28. I'm pretty sure 32's would fit just fine on this bike, sans fenders.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:39 PM

I squeezed a 35mm GK SS in a size small for a friend. It was tight, but possible.
Old 08-08-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I squeezed a 35mm GK SS in a size small for a friend. It was tight, but possible.
This is good information that is making me decision easier.
Old 08-08-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
It looks like lots of marketing around Magnesium but somehow I am guessing this is mostly an aluminum alloy with a small amount of magnesium in it, but somehow different from the similar alloys used in the past and marketed as "Magnesium".

The price looks good IMO. Material is interesting. The bikes themselves are not that interesting to me personally I guess.

I guess a good benchmark for the real world would be if Baron would share what size he rode and how much the built up bike weighed? We know all these materials can be made into nice bikes, but the market seems to move on how much the final product weights balanced out against aero I guess.
It's over 90% Mg per Allite.
Old 09-11-2024, 03:16 PM

I emailed VAAST to find out the rake for their allroad/gravel bike fork and never heard back. Called a few days in a row and finally left a message. No response.

So I guess I wouldn't really buy one of these because you're looking for manufacturer support lol.

The fact that it'll easily clear 32's and that HTP was able to fit 35's and it was rideable is pretty wild. That's honestly pretty awesome!
Old 09-11-2024, 06:48 PM

To Baron:

I enjoy your beautiful descriptions. You’re like a bicycle sommelier.
Old 09-13-2024, 11:28 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
I emailed VAAST to find out the rake for their allroad/gravel bike fork and never heard back. Called a few days in a row and finally left a message. No response.

So I guess I wouldn't really buy one of these because you're looking for manufacturer support lol.

The fact that it'll easily clear 32's and that HTP was able to fit 35's and it was rideable is pretty wild. That's honestly pretty awesome!
I contact them through my sales rep and they do okay. Perhaps if there is a bike shop acting as an intermediary the experience would be different. This isn't an excuse for Vaast, just a functional possibility.
Old 09-13-2024, 11:33 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
To Baron:

I enjoy your beautiful descriptions. You’re like a bicycle sommelier.
Thank you very much, I have lots of practice! My other jobs in life have had me talking about and explaining board games in the vein of Catan, Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride over and over and over (and over), and also a couple of stints reviewing computer games. If you think I can talk about bikes, man, you should hear me go to town on a great (or even better, awful) game.
Old 09-13-2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Blubba View Post
If you think I can talk about bikes, man, you should hear me go to town on a great (or even better, awful) game.
I can’t wait to go on a ride with you to hear your ins and outs on Shaq-Fu. I’m 100% serious on this.
Old 09-14-2024, 07:59 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumablk View Post
I can’t wait to go on a ride with you to hear your ins and outs on Shaq-Fu. I’m 100% serious on this.
I have actually played and completed the Sega Genesis version of that game multiple times. Haven’t played the new-ish one from 7, 8 years ago. If you come ride with me, I will gladly pontificate on it for at least five minutes.