Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2024, 12:41 PM

Frame set Box Size

Would anyone happen to know if boxes for frame sets tend to run smaller than boxes for complete builds? If so, would you know general size needed?

It’s an odd question but trying to figure out if the dimensions are small enough to be accepted by USPS for APO delivery. I already know complete build boxes are a no go. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2024, 12:49 PM

In general, it can be smaller.

I think something as small as 37 x 26 x 8 should work. I'm almost sure that's the size I used on a previous shipment.

My most recent one is 41 x 26 x 8.
Old 09-12-2024, 01:23 PM

I appreciate it. I had considered purchasing one of the ADHX frames while they were on sale but they stated their shipping box was 62 x 13 x 33 inches and 25 lbs. Too big for an APO, just wondering if it could go in smaller box.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthelee View Post
I appreciate it. I had considered purchasing one of the ADHX frames while they were on sale but they stated their shipping box was 62 x 13 x 33 inches and 25 lbs. Too big for an APO, just wondering if it could go in smaller box.
That is absolutely bonkers for a frameset, there's no way they do this.

I just shipped a complete size large mountain bike - with the rear wheel on! - in a box smaller than that.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
That is absolutely bonkers for a frameset, there's no way they do this.

I just shipped a complete size large mountain bike - with the rear wheel on! - in a box smaller than that.
I thought so too since that approaches the size of a Canyon box that I have in my garage. I asked if they were sure, but never heard back. At the time I wondered if they only had one box size for shipping or if they include that extra empty space for protection.
Old 09-12-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthelee View Post
Ior if they include that extra empty space for protection.
Seems it would be less safe with more opportunity for things to move around.

I'm guessing you got a canned answer from an outsourced customer service rep.
Old 09-12-2024, 03:07 PM

I ship all my framesets in a box that is 39 x 29 x 7 and that is more than enough for everything but seriously huge frames.

dave
Old 09-12-2024, 03:27 PM

Sellers are using a lot larger boxes to ship complete bikes these days to minimize the chance of damage and to minimize reassembly. My Cervelo Rouvida came in a box that was at the very limit of all the dimensions allowed for air freight . I know it was 53 inches long over 18 inches wide and maybe 36 inches tall. To ship another bike with that box, bike flights wanted pictures showing a tape measure at both ends of all dimensions to prove that it wasn't 1/4 inch larger, or a $1500 fine could be incurred. I told them to forget it. I shipped that box by UPS, but it cost $260, just to go from Colorado to Nevada. It weighed about 50 lbs.

I have another box that's 53x18x32. The length is right at the limit. It will fit a bike and only require installing wheels and the seat post with saddle. There's ample padding and many large zipp ties hold all parts to a double thick cardboard sheet in the middle of the box.

A frame box from Yoeleo is amazingly small by comparison - 33x26x8.

Last edited by Dave; 09-12-2024 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2024, 03:33 PM

If I don't have a smaller frame box that fits, I will cut down a bike box to get it under 108" total length plus girth, which I believe is still the cutoff for USPS and most shippers before they start hitting you with the super sizing fees. You have to be clever with padding to make sure you aren't introducing places for damage and fit the fork in so that it doesn't add any additional box size to the actual frame. I've shipped hundreds of frames this way. I will say that prices for shipping have increased so much in the last few years that it has become a major part of the cost.
Old 09-12-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDeeter View Post
If I don't have a smaller frame box that fits, I will cut down a bike box to get it under 108" total length plus girth.
I wish I could cut down my old Trico Iron Case...it's a smidge over and the difference in cost is substantial!
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 09-14-2024, 10:14 AM

Appreciate all of the answers. I reached out to Time again and their frame set boxes are indeed smaller (44x9x27). An honest mistake on their part, but good to know for future reference in case I order.