Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metz View Post
I never said AXS was slower, rather that shifting speed isn’t very important to me. I mean, we are talking fractions of seconds here. All three are great groupsets and more than I need.
We are saying the same thing, in some ways, sorry if that did not come across. With that said, I will say AXS is slower but it does not matter. That is my point (about EPS). I like my AXS setup and shifting is not any issue at all.

I will also restate that the shifting of the SRAM transmission is slower than most anything - as are most MTB systems -but again, it requires you to re-think how you shift -and does not matter.

And agree, most group sets work really well.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I hear you. When I got my gravel bike, it was supposed to have 2x Chorus - but the bike shop gave me the option of EKAR and if I did not like it, could get the Chorus.

Shocked how much I liked it and how well it works.

The lowest range from the original EKAR was a 38T front ring with a 10-46 cassette.

EKAR GT, has the option of a 36T front ring and a 10-48 cassette.
Sorry for the slow response to this thread I started. Just back from the gruelling Rift Race in Iceland. Great day on the bikes and lots learned there.

I came back to this message as most of the riders there were on 1X drivetrains.

Started researching Ekar more seriously and the gearing ratios available are amazing. Also, the single tooth jumps at the bottom of the cassette should be more like a road 2X system. But better climbing gears, which is the ultimate goal of this project.

While most of the time, the 38 tooth chainrings would be perfect, a 36 would be nice in certain situations (The Rift, Cabot Trail, Dolomites, etc) and while the GT chainrings aren't compatible with Ekar, the whole crankset is compatible, so swapping to the aluminum version wouldn't take more than 10 minutes when really needed.

I have to admit I made a calculation mistake in my gearing chart (ugh!) ... the new SR Wireless doesn't get to the climbing gears we currently have on Chorus, so I can't see SR Wireless now as a viable option. Too bad as I think it's beautiful. I also wish Ekar had an electronic version...

Anyway, thanks all for spending some time and thinking about this.
Old 07-23-2024, 08:28 AM

As far as gearing for the Cabot trail, if you've got 1:1, you're more than fine, unless you're doing it loaded with gear. The big climbs there are fairly steady gradient, so if you have a gear combo you're comfortable climbing in, you'lll be fine. We did it in '21 and '22, 34/27 or 34/29 as our gearing combos and it was good.

The Dolomites on the other hand, depending on the specific climbs, the more gearing you have the better. I did a trip there last year with an 11-32 50/34 SR12 setup, some climbs like the Giau are going to be awful, regardless of the gearing you have (10KM at 9.7%). Most of the others were fine, if anything my legs were the weak link haha
Old 07-23-2024, 11:32 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacrider View Post
I have to admit I made a calculation mistake in my gearing chart (ugh!) ... the new SR Wireless doesn't get to the climbing gears we currently have on Chorus, so I can't see SR Wireless now as a viable option. Too bad as I think it's beautiful.
Repeating myself but in case you missed it, there's an option for lower gearing by combining the SR Wireless 45/29 chainset with 12 speed mechanical, which would give you a low gear up to 29-34. Just have to make sure that, if your bike doesn't use a band clamp FD, the braze-on is low enough to accommodate those chainrings.
Old 07-23-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
S
I have to admit I made a calculation mistake in my gearing chart (ugh!) ... the new SR Wireless doesn't get to the climbing gears we currently have on Chorus, so I can't see SR Wireless now as a viable option. Too bad as I think it's beautiful. I also wish Ekar had an electronic version...
Campy SR WRL has crankset with gearing of 34/50, 29/45 and 32/48. So you can use a 29/45 for big climbs.

The RD appears to be a mid-cage? If so, could it handle the Chorus 11-32 and maybe 11-34 cassette? I know my Chorus 11 RD can easily handle a 12-32 cassette and could probably work with an 11-34 (Shimano/Sram) if needed.

So I think a SR WRL 29/45 crankset with a Chorus 11-34 12 speed cassette would probably work and give you the same or lower gearing than Chorus. But YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2024, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb5998 View Post
As far as gearing for the Cabot trail, if you've got 1:1, you're more than fine, unless you're doing it loaded with gear. The big climbs there are fairly steady gradient, so if you have a gear combo you're comfortable climbing in, you'lll be fine. We did it in '21 and '22, 34/27 or 34/29 as our gearing combos and it was good.

The Dolomites on the other hand, depending on the specific climbs, the more gearing you have the better. I did a trip there last year with an 11-32 50/34 SR12 setup, some climbs like the Giau are going to be awful, regardless of the gearing you have (10KM at 9.7%). Most of the others were fine, if anything my legs were the weak link haha
We have identical 48/32 and 11-34 Campy Chorus set-ups on both our road and gravel bikes. We also have the 11-29 cassettes for flatter road rides.

We bike-packed the Cabot Trail 3 years ago and found on one climb (I think it was to North Head as we did the route clockwise) super hard with our top gear.

Dolomites last spring were great with this gearing on our road bikes. My legs aren't getting any younger, so soon more gears would be welcome!
Old 07-23-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Repeating myself but in case you missed it, there's an option for lower gearing by combining the SR Wireless 45/29 chainset with 12 speed mechanical, which would give you a low gear up to 29-34. Just have to make sure that, if your bike doesn't use a band clamp FD, the braze-on is low enough to accommodate those chainrings.
I went for a couple of hours riding this morning and was thinking about this option. We could get new SR Mech 12-speed with disk brakes, then add the SR bottom bracket and cranks and get wonderful gearing. I just read that SR mechanical can handle the 11-34 cassette. I'll be doing the calculations this afternoon! We have steel frames, so this whole project will require a paint job at the end, so if we need the FD hanger moved, it isn't a problem. Maybe this is the Campy Mullet solution! Many thanks.

Last edited by jacrider; 07-23-2024 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-23-2024, 02:10 PM

Just to torture my decision process, Jan Heine of Rene Herse just built a new bike...

https://www.renehersecycles.com/jans-open-min-d/
Old 07-23-2024, 03:01 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I went for a couple of hours riding this morning and was thinking about this option. We could get new SR Mech 12-speed with disk brakes, then add the SR bottom bracket and cranks and get wonderful gearing. I just read that SR mechanical can handle the 11-34 cassette. I'll be doing the calculations this afternoon! We have steel frames, so this whole project will require a paint job at the end, so if we need the FD hanger moved, it isn't a problem. Maybe this is the Campy Mullet solution! Many thanks.
Will be interested to hear the result if you end up going this way. Indeed C/R/SR 12 RDs all support up to 34, while the SR WRL is only rated to 29 (of course, per an earlier post, it *might* work).
Old 07-23-2024, 03:54 PM

I’ve looked at using a bigger cassette on my wrl group sets but it’s hard to see gettting the b tension screw adjusted so it is far enough from a 32 or 34 cog and still shifts reasonably well across the range.
This is even before dealing with chain length issues
Just my two bitS
Old 07-23-2024, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Just to torture my decision process, Jan Heine of Rene Herse just built a new bike...

https://www.renehersecycles.com/jans-open-min-d/
SWOON... though I'd take a Hampco x Eyewater collabro instead or a Pursuit because the MinD geo doesn't really work for me.
Old 09-13-2024, 07:52 AM

Thought I would close out this thread.

As much as I hate to admit this, we ended up ordering mixed Shimano drivetrains. Even as Campy announced the new S version of SR wireless, we felt for our needs that 2X Shimano is going to be a better solution.

We are going with DA for shifters, calipers, rotors, cassettes (11-34) and chains. GRX derailleurs and Rotor carbon 48/31 cranksets. We can use the 105 11-36 cassettes when we are going somewhere particularly hilly.

Our Chorus components on our gravel bikes have been beaten up and required lots of replacements - chains, cassettes, chainrings, etc. On our road bikes Chorus has been flawless. Hoping the wearable parts on this Shimano setup will last longer with better shifting performance.

Thanks for everyone's time and discussion.
Old 09-13-2024, 02:23 PM

I was hoping beyond hope that Campy might offer a wireless option with rim brakes so I could move my Peg to wireless.

Guess I am stuck with mechanical Chorus.