Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2024, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
Received the Hiro chuck.
It does not work with my digital inflator.
As soon as I stop putting air in pressure drops.
I suspect since the air is cut off by the inflator the presta valve does not stay open. Anyway it is up for sale in classified’s.
Silca does not accept returns.
If the pressure drops as soon as you stop putting air in, then either the chuck is not sealing to the valve or there is a leak somewhere in the inflator. The fact that the presta valve does not stay open will not cause the pressure in the inflator to drop. In fact, if the presta valve was open when the pressure in the inflator dropped, then the pressure in the tire would also drop.

As far as a chuck keeping a presta valve open - inflator/pump chucks do not need to keep the valve open to work properly. The only situation where the chuck would need to keep the valve open is either: A passive pressure gauge that is not part of an inflator/pump; or a system with a bleed valve intended to be used to reduce tire pressure.
Old 09-08-2024, 03:25 PM

Just to revive this briefly, I just bought a cheap amazon inflator to replaced the blowgun style one I was using previously. I use an Arundel Hansel, which is a poor man's Hirame.
In short, the inflator gauge is usable as it shows accurate tire pressure rise as you inflate. Because there is no check valve in the gauge, it does drop when you release the trigger-tire pressure isn't dropping but the chuck seal isn't perfect. It drops very slowly if you teflon the junction between the screw on schrader adaptor and the chuck and the junction between the schrader adaptor and the hose.
For a total cost of around 35 bucks for the inflator and a threaded schrader chuck its very workable (had the presta chuck).
Fwiw, no presta chuck that I'm aware of holds the valve open, that's not how a presta valve works.
Old 09-08-2024, 03:51 PM

A properly functioning pump head never opens the presta valve. Loosen the lock nut and tap the presta nut to unstick the seal, then place the head on the stem and tighten the lever. Air flow won't start until the pressure in the hose exceeds the tire pressure. Pump up to desired pressure and the pump gauge should stay unchanged unless there's some leakage at the pump head or the pump's check valve is leaking. If you push a pump head so far down that it opens the presta valve, you've defeated it's purpose.

Last edited by Dave; 09-08-2024 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2024, 07:25 PM

Smile

go with the Hirame...it works great and as it should! Got mine ten years ago and it has worked perfectly...
Old 09-08-2024, 08:41 PM

Hirame with a Joe Blow pump has stood the test of time for me
Old 09-09-2024, 11:52 AM

While the Arundel floor pump comes with a nice Hirame knockoff, I replaced it with the real deal. Best of both worlds IMHO.
Old 09-12-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Go with the Topeak.
I put a Silca Hiro on my Topeak floor pump. Used it once (actually, less than once...) pulled it off and put the Topeak twin head back on. So much more elegant in that it actually works.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 09-12-2024, 12:20 PM

FYI, the Hirame did not work with the digital inflator connected to my air compressor. Replaced with a Topeak Smart Head and it works perfectly.