Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2024, 02:03 PM

SRAM eTap 11 - 3rd party crankset compatibility?

I recently bought a used SRAM etap 11 speed rim brake RD / FD / Shifters / chain / 11-30 cassette for my wife’s bike via the Classifieds section. Right now, her bike is built with Campy Centaur 10 speed compact (square taper, 50/34 chainrings, 12-30 cassette). I will have to change the wheelset to something with a Shimano / SRAM free hub.

I’m going to keep the gearing up front as a 50/34 compact (or similar tooth count), but beyond that not sure what to do about the crank. The bike is a classic lugged steel frame with silver components. SRAM doesn't have anything in silver in 11 or 12 speed, so I'm looking at some 3rd party cranks.

Below are the options I've identified. Hoping folks there's some folks here who have experience mixing-and-matching with SRAM eTap 11 who could advise if the below combos would work:

A. White Industries R30 crankset with compact chainrings; I've got a brand new set in the parts box.

B. Keep the current Campy Centaur 10 crankset

C. Buy a silver alloy 11 speed crankset from AliExpress - half the cost and looks classy, but will it play nice with the SRAM FD? Uses a 24mm Shimano bottom bracket.
Old 09-10-2024, 02:10 PM

Hww about a Hope Crankset in silver?
https://www.jensonusa.com/Hope-evo-6873mm-Cranks
Old 09-10-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnap View Post
I recently bought a used SRAM etap 11 speed rim brake RD / FD / Shifters / chain / 11-30 cassette for my wife’s bike via the Classifieds section. Right now, her bike is built with Campy Centaur 10 speed compact (square taper, 50/34 chainrings, 12-30 cassette). I will have to change the wheelset to something with a Shimano / SRAM free hub.

I’m going to keep the gearing up front as a 50/34 compact (or similar tooth count), but beyond that not sure what to do about the crank. The bike is a classic lugged steel frame with silver components. SRAM doesn't have anything in silver in 11 or 12 speed, so I'm looking at some 3rd party cranks.

Below are the options I've identified. Hoping folks there's some folks here who have experience mixing-and-matching with SRAM eTap 11 who could advise if the below combos would work:

A. White Industries R30 crankset with compact chainrings; I've got a brand new set in the parts box.

B. Keep the current Campy Centaur 10 crankset

C. Buy a silver alloy 11 speed crankset from AliExpress - half the cost and looks classy, but will it play nice with the SRAM FD? Uses a 24mm Shimano bottom bracket.
I have four bikes with E Tap shifters
I use Shimano everything else chain, cassette,cranks
I ride them at least 7,000 to 10,000 miles a year
Shimano screwed the pooch not supporting cable brakes wireless.
Signed
grumpy old man
Old 09-10-2024, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
Hww about a Hope Crankset in silver?
https://www.jensonusa.com/Hope-evo-6873mm-Cranks
are these cranksets known to work well with SRAM eTap 11? A $350 price tag is a bit much to swallow, but I'd give it a second look if I knew it would work.
Old 09-10-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere View Post
I have four bikes with E Tap shifters
I use Shimano everything else chain, cassette,cranks
I ride them at least 7,000 to 10,000 miles a year
Shimano screwed the pooch not supporting cable brakes wireless.
Signed
grumpy old man
thanks for this insight! I've read other folks having similar experiences (mixing Shimano with SRAM eTap) and the general consensus seems to be that they play well together. The counter-balance has been a number of people telling me that an all-SRAM setup is the only thing that will work and I'll be sorry if I try to mix & match, hence my worries.
Old 09-10-2024, 06:47 PM

2 bikes with SRAM Etap 11 speed and Shimano cranks……never had any issues once the FD is set up properly.
Old 09-10-2024, 06:51 PM

Same - I've run 11 speed etap with rim and disc brakes - 3rd party cranksets with praxis, cannondale and fsa rings and the cassettes are the china lightweigh ones and no shifting issues.

I'm even running shimano compatible 12 speed w/ my axs derailleurs (stone chainrings, sunshine cassette, kmc chain).
Old 09-11-2024, 10:45 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
a number of people telling me that an all-SRAM setup is the only thing that will work and I'll be sorry if I try to mix & match, hence my worries.
fwiw a very well-respected bike shop owner told me Shimano 10-speed chainrings would not play nicely with an otherwise all SRAM 11-speed eTap drivetrain

...though in the ~6 years since he said that (and since he sold me a new SRAM crankset) I have heard more than one internet anecdote suggest that they should have been perfectly compatible.

:shrugs:
Old 09-11-2024, 12:26 PM

Keep the current crankset (unless you want to take this opportunity to get away from square taper) and maybe shop for 11sp rings.

I don't remember if 11sp chain will work on 10sp rings so it may work fine as is
Old 09-11-2024, 01:07 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
I will have to change the wheelset to something with a Shimano / SRAM free hub.
Not answering your original question, but as others have mentioned the 11 speed stuff all interoperates pretty well. Provided your wife can live with a max cog of 32, you could keep your wheelset/FHB and just buy an 11 speed Campy cassette.

No first hand experience but from what I recall, an 11 speed chain should work fine on your existing 10 speed crankset.
Old 09-11-2024, 02:20 PM

Used etap 11 speed with all sorts of combinations. Currently running etap with extralight rings on two bikes, one with a SRAM crank, and one bike with a Lightning crank. Also ran etap with a Shimano 11 speed crank briefly while I waited for my SRAM crank to arrive and it shifted fine.