Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2024, 06:38 PM

I suck at riding....better at drinking beer.

so almost a year ago I posted a thread inquiring if aero wheels would help me ride a faster solo 100 mile ride.... https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=300140&page=7

11 months later I decided to give it another go. only thing different was a new pair of shoes. first time was Lake CX1 lace up and this time Lake CX219. the shoes are 1 ounce lighter...I have not lost any weight so still around 210 lbs and according to that new weight thing I am a bowling ball... I fueled myself on liquid Iv and beer and a Mike and Ike candies and during the ride consumed one banana, one Cliff bar and one generic protein bar. I was right on a 20mph pace for the first 80 miles and then kind of fell off the edge of the cliff.....last 10 miles I was in a 10mph head wind so that kind of hurt the average speed. I did concentrate on staying in the drops a bit more but ultimately was riding the hoods..I set my psi according to the rene herse calculator and my bike with two full water bottles and a handlebar bag full of mike and ikes was right at 25lbs...
oh and maybe the biggest thing was I did not wear a helmet which made me feel better as with my helmet I sweat so bad I can't keep the sweat out of my eyes. I wish I had someone I could draft with but hard to find anyone who wants to ride with an old drunk....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7266.jpg (56.5 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7267.jpg (57.3 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7268.jpg (57.6 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7269.jpg (57.1 KB, 419 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7270.jpg (57.2 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7272.jpg (57.0 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7276.jpg (56.8 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7264.jpg (52.5 KB, 422 views)
Old 09-09-2024, 06:55 PM

Doesn't seem to me that you ate enough food. Yeah beer is 'food' but not really. I remember one Training camp for my cycling team in Greenville SC one of the guys was not riding well all week. We stopped for lunch at a cafe and he ordered a tall PBR. After lunch we headed down the road and the dude turned into an animal. :LOL
Old 09-09-2024, 06:56 PM

You biked 100 miles at 20 mph and fueled with beer? That's hard core. I love it.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:26 PM

I'd be very happy with that performance.
Nice job!
I do agree the fueling could be better.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:03 PM
You still here?

I've ridden that route a million times, well maybe a fewer than that. That's some pretty good speeds/times for a route that's slightly up hill one way, slightly downhill in the opposite direction but with a prevailing headwind, for a guy that's not eighteen years old.

Good on ya!
Old 09-10-2024, 06:26 AM

Love beer too but at 67.5 years old it hits me hard so one and done and only once a week. I did a solo ride last week and averaged 20.3 mph for 50K and one of a few rides this year over 20 mph average. Did do some team rides over 20. Most are between 19 and 19.9 and at my age I’m very happy with that!

Another totally off topic comment is I only like to ride in the morning since our teams Wednesday night ride leaves me sleeping poorly that night. It takes a while for my system to wind down after a ride.
Old 09-10-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson View Post
I've ridden that route a million times, well maybe a fewer than that. That's some pretty good speeds/times for a route that's slightly up hill one way, slightly downhill in the opposite direction but with a prevailing headwind, for a guy that's not eighteen years old.

Good on ya!
also hard riding steady speed thru Kellogg, wallace and some of those other little places. they are doing construction in the area on the wallace section so that slows you down and Kellogg is always slow and go for me and doing out back you catch them both ways. it sure is nice otherwise not having to worry about too much other than pedaling. I think next time I will start in Wallace so I don't have the 6 mile uphill when I am already getting gassed... I love the trail and Mullan is only 110 miles from my house so quick trip over.
Old 09-11-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
Love beer too but at 67.5 years old it hits me hard so one and done and only once a week. I did a solo ride last week and averaged 20.3 mph for 50K and one of a few rides this year over 20 mph average. Did do some team rides over 20. Most are between 19 and 19.9 and at my age I’m very happy with that!

Another totally off topic comment is I only like to ride in the morning since our teams Wednesday night ride leaves me sleeping poorly that night. It takes a while for my system to wind down after a ride.
I am 66. decided to check my bike fit again using myvelofit and I think seeing myself might be enough to cut back on my beer drinking and cookie habit. I doubt my gut is helping me any
https://portal.myvelofit.com/shared/...a-1bd95f892450
Old 09-11-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I am 66. decided to check my bike fit again using myvelofit ....
https://portal.myvelofit.com/shared/...a-1bd95f892450
Kudos on doing the vid on rollers!