Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2024, 08:35 PM
Administrator

I’ve been in a wreck like that and made a similarly bad decision to just ride home; so I totally understand the fog you are in immediately following an unexpected and shocking event.

It’s super disappointing that not only the person that hit you but also the whole group left you like that.

My gut feeling is that from a legal standpoint it will be hard to prove fault in a bike/bike collision without witnesses or other concrete evidence.

Take it slow and focus on healing up!
Old 09-09-2024, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
No, they're not "different", they're clearly the same as groups of cyclists everywhere else in America! I've encountered assholes like this an nearly every state I've cycled.
EXACTLY!! It may just get magnified in So Cal because this CITY is huge! He clearly said Irvine Bike path (Orange County)... I'm in South Pasadena, and that would be like saying you're in San Diego and the distance to Oceanside. People generalize LA regardless of the immediate vicinity being discussed.

Los Angeles County and Orange County where this occurred is a very dense populated area, full of people who wanna be racers and lack bike etiquette. This can be said for SF, NYC and anywhere else. I was plowed going across the Golden Gate Bridge. My friend was hit in the exact same manner on the bike path to Long Beach along the 605. Kid went head on with him, my buddy lost a finger, and was out for a while and couldn't remember anything. I stay off of bike paths for this exact reason!
Old 09-09-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I’ve been in a wreck like that and made a similarly bad decision to just ride home; so I totally understand the fog you are in immediately following an unexpected and shocking event.

It’s super disappointing that not only the person that hit you but also the whole group left you like that.

My gut feeling is that from a legal standpoint it will be hard to prove fault in a bike/bike collision without witnesses or other concrete evidence.

Take it slow and focus on healing up!
That might be true, but leaving the scene of an accident might be actionable!
Old 09-09-2024, 08:41 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciavete View Post
I hope to make it up to you.

The steel fork was made by Dave Kirk, painted by JB, who eyeballed it to match. A tad heavier but I like the steel fork ride.
I am appeased; that's lovely. I went back and forth on my design because I love panels, but in the end I went with a design inspired by @happycampyer's white Legend, one of my favorite bikes here.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:22 PM

we have a few bike paths here near Tokyo.
Our team's DS hard rule was no training on paths. That is what roads are for.
Bike paths are for general public not racers, who are niche. We could ride the paths but that was more for turning over the pedals.
Old 09-10-2024, 04:06 AM

I love riding on bike paths but you got to go slow and easy. Sorry to hear about the crash
Old 09-10-2024, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Hearing this makes me appreciate my little part of upstate NY even more.

We don't have too many cyclists and those we have are mostly good natured and caring.

Now jobs and decent weather may be a different story.....
+1! Our MUP has a speed limit of 15mph posted in the more densely populated areas to specifically deter this type of riding on them. The faster guys I ride with are out riding on the beautiful roads we have instead of the paths that are designated multi use.

Sorry to hear about this as the group should have stopped and called for some help.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2024, 05:37 AM

Just reminded about this recent story in my area. Enjoy!

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...trail/3709664/
Old 09-10-2024, 05:53 AM

I once encountered an individual riding a Peloton while I was commuting to work on the bike path. After I squeezed by him I couldn't let that encounter evaporate, and so I turned around to get his thoughts. Between labored breaths he explained that he preferred to ride outdoors.

Heal well, and don't give up in your attempt to identify the Massey Ferguson who caused your grief.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacyclist View Post

The speed limit on that trail was, at one time, 25mph. That's crazy on what is basically an urban trail. 15 is totally reasonable
Old 09-10-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
The speed limit on that trail was, at one time, 25mph. That's crazy on what is basically an urban trail. 15 is totally reasonable
Yes but most people aren't going to have a bike computer, are they? I avoid paths so I don't know.
Old 09-10-2024, 01:34 PM
Randomhead

My comment is addressing the speed traps near DC, not OP's incident. I have been overtaken by rude pelotons and it always baffles me. It's not just a U.S. phenomenon, I was overtaken by a double paceline in France during PBP and they split and went on both sides of me. I really wasn't far enough out in the lane for the people that went on the right. We easily could have ended up in a heap. I assumed that was a punishment pass. I hope they had knee problems and had to ride back from Brest on a train.

I think it's b.s. they are citing people for going 16mph in a 15mph zone. There are hills around D.C. I don't necessarily agree with the 10mph cushion they give motorists, but 1mph is not a reasonable cushion.

It's too bad there aren't more trails near DC, there just isn't enough capacity for bike commuting and other activities to coexist. That's what the real problem is. I've ridden into D.C. during morning commuting hours and the crowds of cyclists are fairly impressive. Maybe people shouldn't walk their dogs on the trails at that time. I know we're all used to being able to do whatever we want whenever we want, but there are lots of nice sidewalks in most of NOVA that are free of commuting cyclists.

Last edited by unterhausen; 09-10-2024 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-10-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Stopped a guy for 16mph in a 15mph zone What might help pedestrians is to make wearing earbuds illegal and mandate that they walk single file on the left side of the path. Or, issue cyclists train horns, whichever is more cost efficient.

As far as the OP goes, I would have never even posted this, but I would have found out who that jagoff was. And sorted it.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 09-10-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2024, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Yes but most people aren't going to have a bike computer, are they? I avoid paths so I don't know.
Most people without a bike computer would find holding 15 on that trail a challenge. Lots of things to naturally slow you down.
And I also avoid MUT's, to avoid people without bike computers. ;-)