Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2024, 11:54 AM

29er Single Speed wheel recommendations

The Mustang Elites on my 2015 Trek Superfly SS are breaking spokes way to often, so looking to replace. I'm pretty sure the rear will have to be Shimano HG non-Boost to fit this bike.
I've been looking at the alloy Hunt and Boyd XC wheels, each with their in-house hubs. The DT Swiss M1900 is also in the mix, as it's the only Shimano HG, non-boost I could see that DT Swiss offers.
I'm also considering going with Light Bicycle carbon wheels, that's mostly b/c they offer DT Swiss 240 hubs in Shimano HG, non-boost. They'd be a good deal lighter than the Boyd, Hunt, and DT Swiss wheels. That's nice but I mostly am considering them for the DT Swiss hubs.

So with all that, how do the Boyd and Hunt hubs compare to DT Swiss?

Thx!
Chad
Old 09-08-2024, 12:27 PM

I’ve never had a problem with off-brand hubs, either from the manufacturers or vendors like Hunt. But, I’ve never used Hunt or Boyd (though friends have and been happy).

I’d take a DT350 (or better) given the option for similar price. Mostly because of parts availability - I’d fear the off-brand won’t have end-caps, FHs, etc available in a few years.

Are you trying to stick to a budget? Then Hunt might be the answer. If you want to sped a bit more, like you said, the LightBike will have DT hubs and weigh quite a bit less.
Old 09-08-2024, 12:38 PM

DT rim, Paul hub, white industries freewheel.
Old 09-08-2024, 05:59 PM
n - 1

On my SS, I just use regular hubs. Currently riding BTLOS DT240 wheels. And Endless cogs. Thousands of miles and zero issues.
Old 09-08-2024, 06:53 PM

I'd just build a wheel. White Ind hub, whatever rim.
Old 09-08-2024, 08:52 PM

Thanks all! Decisions . . . decisions . . .
Old 09-09-2024, 06:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

BTLOS with the hub of your choice..Bitex or DT...made for you.

BTLOS.com
Old 09-09-2024, 08:58 AM
Meh

Can’t go wrong with a ratchet freehub. It’s the standard. And with DT’s patents expired there are plenty of good options now.
Old 09-09-2024, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Can’t go wrong with a ratchet freehub. It’s the standard. And with DT’s patents expired there are plenty of good options now.
I have been looking and can't tell what the good non-DT options are - do you have experience / recommendations?
Old 09-09-2024, 10:06 AM

I would personally find an older Shimano rear hub with HG and build up a set onto Light Bicycle rims. I have used https://www.speedgearbike.com/ for this exact thing. I had an XTR rear hub and an I9 front hub. Wayne at SpeedGear may have options not listed on the website as well. These have been on my SIR 9 for a few years now and have been flawless.
Old 09-09-2024, 11:16 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
I have been looking and can't tell what the good non-DT options are - do you have experience / recommendations?
Oneup now makes a hub (in many anodized colors) that uses the star ratchet design, but sells for about $60 less than a DT 350. Given my experiences with other OneUp components, that's the one I'm interested in, though they are only available in boost spacing - gravel bikes and older mountain bikes need not apply.`

The newer Ritchey wheels with the WCS hub use a star ratchet design.

There are a variety of aliexpress versions of the DT350, like those from Venfort - online chatter about them doesn't seem positive, however.

Honestly though, it's hard to argue with a real DT350 - they are robust as hell, stupid easy to work on, easy to obtain parts for, and about as modular and upgradeable as a bike component can get. The only negative about them is that you cannot replace the freehub bearings without removing the drive ring, which is an extremely annoying job requiring a special tool that I just hand off to the LBS. The new 240DEG hub addresses this issue.

Last edited by EB; 09-09-2024 at 11:21 AM.