Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2024, 09:42 PM

Yeah, the West side ride on the GG is sketch even with the jumper net installed. I can barely manage on 40mm rims. The east side is better for wind, but selfie sticks poke your eyes. The wavy rim patent (separate thread) shows better handling potential (center of pressure location for front wheel), so that is getting me interested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I've learned to ride with Reynolds 47s front and rear, mostly able to handle the cross winds but on the Golden Gate Bridge, its holding on for dear life on a windy day. Honestly, crossing the bridge on a windy day on anything is holding on for dear life. My current go-to ride has 35mm on the front and 45mm in the rear. I'm looking for a new set with the same setup.
Old 09-05-2024, 09:59 PM

I have a set of 45mm BTLOS and don't feel the wind much. It's a slightly different profile though.

Across Zipp, Farsports, and a few others it needs to be some pretty serious crosswind for me to notice it at 50mm and below. If you often ride in windy conditions (I live in Sweden now) you also become pretty comfortable in shifting your weight when you feel the wind to compensate.
Old 09-05-2024, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyatt View Post
If you often ride in windy conditions (I live in Sweden now) you also become pretty comfortable in shifting your weight when you feel the wind to compensate.
Pretty much this.

On modern rims, you don't even shift your weight, your body subconsciously compensates to reestablish balance.

I've ridden 90mm rims for the past 8(?) years. I've never been "blown off the road". Blown around, maybe, but only by a few inches. Take the whole lane on descents and leave some margin on either side.

Even at 90mm, they are way better than Mavic Ksyriums ever were. Something about the Ksyrium's shape created crazy inconsistencies in crosswinds, where one split second you were trying to compensate by steering into the wind and the next you're steering into oncoming traffic.
Old 09-06-2024, 01:28 AM

If you are in a consistent wind like along the coast, on the plains etc, it really doesn't matter all that much. As people have said, you compensate.

It is tricky in gusty situations or when the wind is changing directions. At the end of the ride, you feel like you wrestled with the bike the whole way.

In the winter and spring when we have windier conditions, I ride my lower profile stuff, in the summer and fall when the weather is quieter, I will go to deeper rims.

You need the right tool for the job/