Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2024, 12:04 PM

Thinking of myself as a 96,000 gram package does put the choice between alloy or brass nipples in perspective . An upside of going up to 32 hole is I could use Record hubs (as far as I know the new ones are only available in 32 hole).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Why 24h front? Why not 28h? For you? (I'm guess not 32h since they are hard to find from HED)And laced 3 cross, both ends. Additional 8 spokes front and 4 spokes rear..12 additional CXSprint spokes weigh about 60 grams...

For your about 96,000 gram or so 'package'..rider and bike..don't think you'll notice those 60 grams..a little more than 2 ounces...
Old 09-04-2024, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
For comparison, I have a rear wheel with a Kinlin XR-31T asymmetrical rim (deeper, likely stiffer section) ...
Greg
While the OP didn't mention replacing the rims as an option, I didn't suggest an asymmetrical rim in my first post.

I will now. Asymmetrical rims build with much more even left/right tension which I believe will lead to less lateral wheel flex. I've built many this way and they're great.

Also, since someone asked if anyone builds with straight gauge spoke anymore I will say yes; and in the OP's case 14ga. straights would be an improvement.
Old 09-05-2024, 04:45 AM

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/b...fdee44cf&_ss=r

https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/b...1f3e57a7&_ss=r

Top link is about offset rims. They don’t reduce lateral flex and won’t address OP’s issue here. The XR31 rims that GregL mentions are significantly deeper than HEDs and so have a better bracing angle, and they’re heavier and stiffer. Awesome rims for many applications, but the offset is kind of window dressing. Offset rims only balance spoke tension. That’s it, though it can be a benefit.

Bottom link is about straight gauge spokes. They could be used drive-side in OP’s situation but I wouldn’t use them elsewhere in his wheels.

Often people run their pads too close to the rim. I get that there’s personal preference and everything but if your pads are wicked close to the rim you’re at max pull when your fingers are extended and don’t yet have leverage over the levers, unless you have brakes with reach adjustment and have them adjusted far in. I like to set rim brakes up so the levers just barely miss hitting the bars at full squeeze. This gives you power and modulation with the side benefit of making your pads less likely to rub.

Last edited by November Dave; 09-05-2024 at 04:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2024, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
Thinking of myself as a 96,000 gram package does put the choice between alloy or brass nipples in perspective . An upside of going up to 32 hole is I could use Record hubs (as far as I know the new ones are only available in 32 hole).
Correct, the black ones only in 32h but alas, Campagnolo has ceased production of those..they are still 'around' but are getting somewhat scarce.