Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2024, 10:18 AM

American Airlines - Bike Transport

Anyone fly recently on American with a bike? I’m going to Maui this winter and I usually rent a bike but with the fire and the fact I’m going for 15 days I was thinking of taking my own bike. I was looking over American’s baggage policy and it looks like normal baggage fees apply to a bike in a case as long as it’s under 50 pounds.
Old 09-03-2024, 11:41 AM

I've flown American no issue but I have a smaller case by post carry. They do need to be under 50 or you get over weight charge no matter the size.
Old 09-03-2024, 01:23 PM

Yes, I have.
You are correct: under 50 pounds they treat it just like any other suitcase.
Old 09-03-2024, 01:23 PM

Bikes on AA

No problem for me as long as <50lbs.
Fly with them with my Breakaway and it’s fine.
Old 09-03-2024, 06:34 PM

If you bump to first class through miles/status or by paying for it, the weight limit goes up to 70lbs.

I flew American with my Ibis Ripmo AF enduro bike, which weighed in at 47lbs when packed into a cardboard bike box. I didn't have any issues!
Old 09-03-2024, 08:01 PM

I love cycling on Maui. I rented from West Maui Cycles and rode the west Maui loop last July about a month before the fires. I rented from Krank cycles the time before.
I too am looking at taking my bike vs renting in the future. What case are you planning to use??
Old 09-03-2024, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcgill View Post
I love cycling on Maui. I rented from West Maui Cycles and rode the west Maui loop last July about a month before the fires. I rented from Krank cycles the time before.
I too am looking at taking my bike vs renting in the future. What case are you planning to use??
I rented from Boss Frog in Lahaina in the past. They were the only shop on the west side with a bike big enough for me; a cannondale 63.

I may just buy a box from bikeflights or ship bikes for this trip. I dont travel via air enough to justify a new box. I have seen some decent deals on Craigslist for used hard shell boxes and even a guy that rents his hard shell for $40 a week.
Old 09-03-2024, 08:26 PM

Just flew with my mtb and Evoc case on American. Less than 50 and was golden. Be aware TSA will search every oversize bag so don’t pack anything you’re not comfortable doesn’t go back in exactly the same way.
Old 09-04-2024, 09:23 AM
Registered (ab)User

I feel I'd be doing a disservice to The Paceline members if I didn't at least mention this:

American Airlines destroyed two of our bikes. One each on two separate occasions.

They were both coupled road bikes packed in S&S hard cases. They came off the baggage claim conveyer looking like someone had been beating the case with a sledgehammer.

The first time AA paid to repair the damaged case, and offered a laughably small reimbursement so I could get the bike frame repaired...which was so small I declined it. The second time AA reimbursed us for the full amount of frame repair and case replacement. Both times it took months to reach a settlement.

Admittedly this was all >10 years ago. But still...fcuk American Airlines.
Old 09-04-2024, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I feel I'd be doing a disservice to The Paceline members if I didn't at least mention this:

American Airlines destroyed two of our bikes. One each on two separate occasions.

They were both coupled road bikes packed in S&S hard cases. They came off the baggage claim conveyer looking like someone had been beating the case with a sledgehammer.

The first time AA paid to repair the damaged case, and offered a laughably small reimbursement so I could get the bike frame repaired...which was so small I declined it. The second time AA reimbursed us for the full amount of frame repair and case replacement. Both times it took months to reach a settlement.

Admittedly this was all >10 years ago. But still...fcuk American Airlines.
I doubt AA has improved since your experience. In fact, they seem to be competing for the worst airline in the US: https://www.airlinequality.com/airli...ican-airlines/ .