Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2024, 09:02 AM

Has anyone considered taking their crankset, soaking it in salt water for a month, then bringing it into a shop for inspection?
Old 09-03-2024, 09:08 AM

This sort of faded

the recall thing was all the rage and it sort of fell of the radar a bit. I think Shimano should have made carbon cranks and not the 2 piece clam shell approach. Those cranks were ugly as well, think Klingon forehead
Old 09-03-2024, 12:23 PM

I wish you were my LBS. I’ve got three sets in the recall range any my local guy wants to “inspect”. Since I can do the same thing, I know they will pass and come back to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Its easiest to fail them all, take your $75, put the customer on a new crank and move on. Why stores are wasting every ones ti.e with this inspection charade I'll never know. One of the more interesting training tidbits is that common cleaners can cause delamination...in addition to salt, sweat and moisture

After the hairy experience of one crank breaking underneath you...you'd think someone would question the others in their possession
Old 09-03-2024, 12:57 PM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
the recall thing was all the rage and it sort of fell of the radar a bit.
All of a sudden, it's back on social media. I always assumed they were just making it so they had time to make replacements for all the cranks, but maybe not.
Old 09-03-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Has anyone considered taking their crankset, soaking it in salt water for a month, then bringing it into a shop for inspection?
Why? Do like my LBS:
1. ask the customer if they "hear" any noise - answer is yes.
2. take the cranks apart, "inspect" for any cracks or what not.
3. And this is important, ship them back to shimano, in pieces, informing them that the customer hears noise
4. In about 6-8 weeks, he gets a new crankset from Shimano...

He is not going to absorb any liability, that is Shimano's responsibility.

Further, Shimano is not going to take the time to put together a crankset that arrives in pieces, to test whether there's really any noise. It is more cost effective for them to grab a new crankset in the box off their shelves and ship it off to the shop

My LBS says he's done this like 5-6 times and has always gotten a new crankset in return....of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
Old 09-03-2024, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Why? Do like my LBS:
1. ask the customer if they "hear" any noise - answer is yes.
2. take the cranks apart, "inspect" for any cracks or what not.
3. And this is important, ship them back to shimano, in pieces, informing them that the customer hears noise
4. In about 6-8 weeks, he gets a new crankset from Shimano...

He is not going to absorb any liability, that is Shimano's responsibility.

Further, Shimano is not going to take the time to put together a crankset that arrives in pieces, to test whether there's really any noise. It is more cost effective for them to grab a new crankset in the box off their shelves and ship it off to the shop

My LBS says he's done this like 5-6 times and has always gotten a new crankset in return....of course, YMMV!

Good Luck!
I'm not a bike shop. I'm a person who owns cranksets under recall that don't have any apparent damage.

I also have at least a half dozen different bike shops near me, and I have absolutely no clue how any of them handle cranks they are presented with.

It sounds like you know a shop that has a good procedure for getting Shimano to replace suspect cranks, but I can't walk into a shop and tell them what to do.

So perhaps the next best thing to do is promote accelerated failure on my cranks.
Old 09-03-2024, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_e View Post
the recall thing was all the rage and it sort of fell of the radar a bit. I think Shimano should have made carbon cranks and not the 2 piece clam shell approach. Those cranks were ugly as well, think Klingon forehead
I agree with this, but too me they are not as ugly as other cranksets out there.
Also I think they have the best design as far as the bearings and crank attachment. It is very easy to install and remove.
Old 09-03-2024, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I'm not a bike shop. I'm a person who owns cranksets under recall that don't have any apparent damage.

I also have at least a half dozen different bike shops near me, and I have absolutely no clue how any of them handle cranks they are presented with.

It sounds like you know a shop that has a good procedure for getting Shimano to replace suspect cranks, but I can't walk into a shop and tell them what to do.

So perhaps the next best thing to do is promote accelerated failure on my cranks.
Maybe call your local shops and ask how do they handle the recall. Tell them you're hearing noises from your crankset and see how they would respond.

Good Luck!