Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2024, 08:06 AM

New Bike Day; What's your assembly procedure?

All of my parts arrived, and I plan on spending Labor Day weekend evenings assembling. I would like to know if Forumites have preferred assembly order for new builds.
It is mechanical/disc Campy Chorus/Record parts. Honestly, it is one of the few times in my life that I've had all new parts AND a new frame; a real treat.

I have been doing all my work for 45 years, but this is my first build with disc brakes. My primary goal is an assembly order that doesn't require me to disconnect/reconnect brake hoses during the process.

My initial thoughts:
-fit and cut steerer tube install fork
-stem/handlebar/seat post/saddle
-brake calipers on frame (hoping I have the correct bolt sizes)
-brake levers/shifters with cables/housings
-"dry fit" cables/hydraulic housing length
-stand-over fit test to check lever position
-finish disc brake hose connection and bleeding
-BB/Crankset
-Front and rear derailleurs
-chain
Old 08-30-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
All of my parts arrived, and I plan on spending Labor Day weekend evenings assembling. I would like to know if Forumites have preferred assembly order for new builds.
It is mechanical/disc Campy Chorus/Record parts. Honestly, it is one of the few times in my life that I've had all new parts AND a new frame; a real treat.

I have been doing all my work for 45 years, but this is my first build with disc brakes. My primary goal is an assembly order that doesn't require me to disconnect/reconnect brake hoses during the process.

My initial thoughts:
-fit and cut steerer tube install fork
-stem/handlebar/seat post/saddle
-brake calipers on frame (hoping I have the correct bolt sizes)
-brake levers/shifters with cables/housings
-"dry fit" cables/hydraulic housing length
-stand-over fit test to check lever position
-finish disc brake hose connection and bleeding
-BB/Crankset
-Front and rear derailleurs
-chain
For me the cutting of the steerer is one of the last things. I get it sort of where I need it because otherwise it’s 6” too long but final adjusting of that comes near the end.

I just kind of go one piece at a time but I also spend a fair amount of time considering the order because sometimes something has to come off. For example, my new Crux has internal routing, which I needed to complete before I could install the bottom bracket and crank.
Old 08-30-2024, 08:19 AM
Administrator

First thing that goes on any new frame is my "dummy" seatpost to allow me to clamp it in my stand.

Fit headset and fork, mock up spacers and stem to approximate position.

Fit handlebars and brake levers

Crankset install

FD+RD install

Cables

Install rear wheel with cassette

Cut and install chain, tune front and rear shifting, adjust brakes

Out of the stand, install permanent seatpost and saddle, set saddle height and setback.

Take it for a spin, verify bar height. Remove fork, cut, re-install.

Wrap bars.

Done!
Old 08-30-2024, 08:33 AM

Thankfully...only minor internal routing with brake hose through the downtube. So, yeah I realize I could delay cutting the steerer tube until the end by simply removing the front caliper (no need to disconnect the hose).
Old 08-30-2024, 08:36 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

-lay out all the parts
-organize the tools I'll need to assemble
-assemble grease/carbon paste/nitrile glove station and trash can
-write down important torque specs on a post it note
-turn on something entertaining on YouTube and throw the frame in the stand and start building.
-chain goes on last so I can center disc brakes after bleeding
Old 08-30-2024, 09:22 AM

Don't rush it, go slow and when in doubt refer to Youtube videos.
Take a break if you feel burned out or frustrated.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:47 AM

If there's an internal routing, I would figure out how I'm going to do that first to minimize removing parts I've already installed.

Otherwise:
Headset and fork, wouldn't trim steer tube yet unless I'm certain where the fit is going to land.
Then BB, crank, FD
Do wheels as a sub assembly, mount tires, rotors and cassette.
Place wheels into frame, hang RD and brakes, center.
At this point I would get the fit numbers dialed in so you can cut cables to the right length.
Run all lines, setup brakes, then drivetrain, wrap bars and you're out the door. All told you're 90 minutes start to finish.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 08-30-2024, 11:47 AM

I let the LBS install the headset and fork. For me, it was never worth having the special tools for that.

I have a Park PRS 21 stand, so I clamp the fork, either TA or QR, using either the actual stem or a spare.
Run all the hydraulic hoses and cable housings before installing anything else, leaving the extra hanging out to cut later. For the RD cable, make the loop longer than you expect.

Now it's just garage mechanics. Use Youtube to set up the brakes.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
If there's an internal routing, I would figure out how I'm going to do that first to minimize removing parts I've already installed.

Otherwise:
Headset and fork, wouldn't trim steer tube yet unless I'm certain where the fit is going to land.
Then BB, crank, FD
Do wheels as a sub assembly, mount tires, rotors and cassette.
Place wheels into frame, hang RD and brakes, center.
At this point I would get the fit numbers dialed in so you can cut cables to the right length.
Run all lines, setup brakes, then drivetrain, wrap bars and you're out the door. All told you're 90 minutes start to finish.
90 minutes! Oh, I'm way beyond 90 minutes. I'm an OK mechanic at slow speeds. My skills save me a bundle of money, and I enjoy the work. I'm glad I don't have to make a living at it. I really can't imagine all that bike shop mechanics see today.
Old 08-30-2024, 06:10 PM

Sort of a non-response but my latest build had the simplest procedure ever-two steps: 1. Drop frame and parts off at bike shop. 2. Pick up assembled bike from bike shop. This was such a great experience. I found this great sole proprietor shop/mechanic around the time I needed to build this up. It was an extravagance for sure, but I was happy to support this shop. Was so great not having to deal with press fit bb, internal routing, brake bleeding, etc. etc. etc.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:33 PM
but not really

Let's hear from Clean - Dan builds between 3 and 33 bikes a week so I bet he has the process dialed. Haha
Old 08-30-2024, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
For me the cutting of the steerer is one of the last things. I get it sort of where I need it because otherwise it’s 6” too long but final adjusting of that comes near the end.

I just kind of go one piece at a time but I also spend a fair amount of time considering the order because sometimes something has to come off. For example, my new Crux has internal routing, which I needed to complete before I could install the bottom bracket and crank.
Definitely. In fact I would cut it tall and ride it for a while moving spacers up and down till I know it's right then make the final cut. Even then I like to leave one spacer on top.
Old 09-03-2024, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
90 minutes! Oh, I'm way beyond 90 minutes. I'm an OK mechanic at slow speeds. My skills save me a bundle of money, and I enjoy the work. I'm glad I don't have to make a living at it. I really can't imagine all that bike shop mechanics see today.
When I still worked for teams we could do frame swaps in a little over an hour. One of the benefits of working on the exact same bike every day is you get to know them very, very well.

On the flip side; when I got my Scott Genius (previous version before the hidden shock) it took me about 6hrs to build it from scratch. I hadn't done a bike build in a while and there was all kinds of internal routing to figure out and my tools were split between home and work. My wife was giving me a hard time about it, "all those years of going to bike races and this is where you wound up? I thought you were good at this!"

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 09-03-2024, 01:24 PM

I like to add helicopter tape if needed as step 1.