Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2024, 01:54 PM
#RYFB

ATTN: SoCal PCH (Malibu) riders

Caltrans has a PCH Master Plan Feasibility Study for the 22 miles of Malibu, and they have just opened their Round Two survey for public comment (link below). To their credit, they are not taking a one size fits all approach but rather recognize that different sections of the road have different conditions and requirements, so the survey offers a number of road layouts and asks for preferences and comments for each type of road section. Just for a simple example, there are sections with no housing or driveways on the mountain side and others with housing and commercial entities on both sides.

While I encourage everyone who uses this dangerous stretch of road to weigh in, I know that opinions vary widely about protected bike lanes vs painted bike lanes, one-way vs two-way lanes, etc etc. In light of this, and I realize this is idealistic, I'd much prefer to try to build a large consensus of riders who fill out the survey and act as a single voting bloc rather than deliver a cacophony to the planners.

If a lot of people agree with this approach we (I guess that means I) can build a mechanism for discussion and agreement, like a Google doc/sheet where we can weigh in and try to build consensus before filling out the survey as individuals.

I acknowledge that this is likely a fool's errand, but I figure it's worth a shot. Let me know by responding in the thread if you're interested and we can take it from there. I realize this is The Paceline but it would be nice if we can keep the thread drift to a minimum. They don't state when the survey will close but probably best if we act with some alacrity. Thanks.

Survey: https://engage.dot.ca.gov/l2172
Old 08-30-2024, 02:33 PM

I do not ride PCH here because I do not feel safe.

I most like the idea of a 2 way protected bike lane. However I will go with the consensus if there is any because anything is likely better than what we have today.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:20 PM

1B makes the most sense to me.....as someone who rode PCH for years before moving to San Diego, I've seen the good and bad....our bikes lanes up Hwy 1 through Encinitas and Cardiff are "dedicated", but often full of walkers and people not looking out for bikes, despite having a 2nd dedicated walking path and tons of clear signage that it should be bike only. I typically just take the lane (which is also clearly marked as a shared bike lane). Riding next to parked cars is also super dangerous.

I can't see them putting a solid median all the way up PCH....that would take eons. Glad they're doing something, as I'll be back in LA in the next few years and absolutely love riding up PCH. Knock on wood I've never had any incidents but any safer options are still welcomed!
Old 08-30-2024, 05:39 PM
#RYFB

Thanks Kerry.

To be clear, the survey asks about different options for different sections of the road. E.g., the design for the stretch from Topanga to Las Flores should differ from the design for the stretch from Las Flores to Cross Creek.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:42 PM

City of LA is building "protected" bike lanes all over the city right now. The lanes are 50% pavement, a seam, and then 50% trash/glass/gutters. Delivery drivers seem to think the bike lanes are drop-off zones, and drivers love either swinging their doors open into the lane because there's no curb there, or lounging in front of the car. The lanes are usually created by deleting a lane of car traffic which leads to congestion in the remaining lane so you can't really ride in the existing lane without looking like a jerk. Also, the drivers blame the cyclists for losing a lane. You can go 12-15mph in the 2.5' of pavement that is left but it's not really safe to ride in those lanes. I think it is popular because it can be done with just paint so it is cheap and easy to implement, but not to use.

I love bike lanes. I think they are really important, but this implementation is abhorrent. Looks good on paper though and it's cheap so....great.

Edit: I guess this is moot. I am just ranting online.

Last edited by IJWS; 08-30-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 06:23 PM

This will be interesting to follow. I've ridden this area multiple decades ago, so not much memory of the specifics. I do, however, hate 2-way bike lanes and why do many of the concepts have no sidewalks?

I've lost faith in my town's ability, or willingness, to add bike lanes that make sense. They don't seem to want input from people who ride thousands of miles a year, instead bowing to the baby in a cargo bike crowd for their 5 block ride to yoga, or a coffee shop. A few months ago we gained a couple miles of bike lane on one of our major thoroughfares, bollards were added between the bike and traffic lanes. The city didn't and still doesn't have a street sweeper narrow enough, the bike lane is so cluttered with garbage, dirt, etc. it's unrideable.