Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2024, 08:49 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Damn. Is the 1999 one when you were attacked by a tree? Hope you're feeling better.
Yep. Clavicle obliterated...

I examined shoes/pedals with readers on there was gravel jamed in cleat l. So I was probably never clipped in well. So when I pulled during harder out of saddle acceloration... prob causal.

Where I start from and park van is gravel.

Last edited by robt57; 08-25-2024 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2024, 11:11 PM

Dammit…..sorry to read this bud. Rest up……dare I be the first ask “how’s the bike?”

Take er easy pal
Old 08-25-2024, 11:20 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope the healing goes well and quickly too.
Good reminder to check the pedal/cleat interface between heading off.
Old 08-26-2024, 07:35 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Dammit…..sorry to read this bud. Rest up……dare I be the first ask “how’s the bike?”

Take er easy pal
GPS shows impact speed was 6 MPH, down from 18 and accelerating. So I musta wiggled off most of speed just getting control back few seconds late. Thigh to post abrupt stop and I fell post side bike on top of me. kinda under bike. So bar tape, RD scratch, and stays right side few small finish incursions. So bike ok mostly, front wheel needs a few spoke/nips spun minimally.

My sense is this will be at least 2-3 weeks before i might pedal normally. ice since, heat and compress by tonight or tomorrow with light stretching. The limping not quite as pitiful already.

Thanks all.

Ice results have it a whole lot less angry in swelling dept. My wife took out a tape form sewing room and right leg was 2-1/2" around bigger than left leg, and that was early on. It swelled a bit more after that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240825_182511_01.jpg (48.4 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by robt57; 08-26-2024 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:16 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Went from ice to heat today after 72 hours.

Put hot wet wash rag with cling wrap, then hearing pad over for like 25 min twice. Already I can lift my leg. I had to use my other leg under it lifting with foot until today. To get the lame leg up on bed, or get pillow under it in lazy boy chair or bed.

Thats a horrible feeling when limb/muscle seems paralyzed.

Had to give up on the recliner, couldn't get back out of it...

Last edited by robt57; 08-28-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:33 AM

Sorry to hear. I had sort of the opposite when I slid out last summer- bad road rash up and down my left side but internally pretty okay. Also had not been down like that since probably 1999. (I was knocked off my bike a few years ago but landed squarely on my butt and not even scraped.)

Its really is different as we get older.
Old 08-28-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Went from ice to heat today after 72 hours.

Put hot wet wash rag with cling wrap, then hearing pad over for like 25 min twice. Already I can lift my leg. I had to use my other leg under it lifting with foot until today. To get the lame leg up on bed, or get pillow under it in lazy boy chair or bed.

Thats a horrible feeling when lumb/muscle seems paraluzed.

Oh yeah. Glad it's going well. I know that feeling of the leg not responding intimately - coming out of the spinal block for my kneereplacement surgery yesterday the nurse keep asking if I could move my tires (or squeeze my butt cheeks, that was a new one)
And it felt like it took forever and that was so frustrating. Was release home last evening and starting the recovery work at home now so I'm optimistic for both of us!
Old 08-28-2024, 09:56 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Best recovery to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Oh yeah. Glad it's going well. I know that feeling of the leg not responding intimately - coming out of the spinal block for my kneereplacement surgery yesterday the nurse keep asking if I could move my tires (or squeeze my butt cheeks, that was a new one)
And it felt like it took forever and that was so frustrating. Was release home last evening and starting the recovery work at home now so I'm optimistic for both of us!
Old 08-28-2024, 10:02 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Sorry to hear. I had sort of the opposite when I slid out last summer- bad road rash up and down my left side but internally pretty okay. Also had not been down like that since probably 1999. (I was knocked off my bike a few years ago but landed squarely on my butt and not even scraped.)

Its really is different as we get older.
I was surprised and happy my expensive bibs were unscathed too. They covered the impact spot on my thigh totally. With a slam to the leg like that I thought the stretched out bib leg woulda tore but it did not. No rash in my case. Although I have found a few bruise sites in the days after.

And slight back tweak between the should blades. Which didn't help getting up from sitting or bed either. Nor coughing and sneezing... Argh!

But the up side of being fit, especially @ 67 years old, is snapping back quick. I recall when 50 after breaking my leg skiing [tib/fib/plateau] 2 years of unfit slow back issue recoveries taking weeks not days.

Last edited by robt57; 08-28-2024 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Not sure I understand the problem here....
Old 08-28-2024, 01:13 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
Not sure I understand the problem here....
Kinda needed it for a few days. But yeah, not a bad thing really.

Day four approx 93-4 hours after. Was wondering where the dark spots were hiding.. Swelling iced to minimalism, slept on NSAIDs last night instead of OXY like first few nights.

You always get to feeling human when the OXY is gone, thanking lucky stars got there in 3 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day4Quadslam.jpg (106.0 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by robt57; 08-28-2024 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 11:15 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Leg Dejour 6 days out after much melted ice. I really expected the dark blood bruising earlier, so this is no surprise. It is lividity pretty much. Entire leg is swollen still. Had not noticed the calf previously, apparently it took a little bit of something for the slight blood to sit there as well.

Did I say, ouch!?

Going to take wife's new EV Trek Dual Sport Plus bike for ride in out quiet Sub-division in a bit. Been sitting in Van since Sunday awaiting inaugural. Not sure the knee will bend enough though...

Last edited by robt57; 08-30-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 12:38 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

The quad won't allow the knee to bend enough yet. So Dual Sport Plus attempt a bust. But that bike has way more kick than I expected. I rode an Trek EV FX up in Victoria, BC two weeks back, and I guess the 'Sport' is reflected in performance.

Last edited by robt57; 08-30-2024 at 12:45 PM.