Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-29-2024, 05:59 PM

Seems like Campy disc pads wear pretty fast?

Just replaced a front set after 1350 miles.
All road. No rain. No dirt.

Can't remember the last time I replaced any on my CX/gravel (hope) or MTBs (shimano)

I do like to dive bomb some steep, twisty, hairpin-y stuff but 1350?
Old 08-29-2024, 07:13 PM

That hasn't been my experience with a complete Ekar group on a Pursuit All Road. I have just about 7500 miles on the bike and still running the first set of pads. I'll check the pad thickness tomorrow before I ride and report back.

For reference, I'm 218 lbs and ride a 80/20 mix of pavement/gravel in rural hilly terrain. I will say that most of my routes are between 20 and 80 miles and require little braking. Thinking about my 35 mile ride today, I can count a total of 4 times I used my brakes.

Last edited by MXLeader; 08-30-2024 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:16 PM

Replaced front pads on my Ekar group earlier this year, almost two years of use from the pads, I'll check distance, but it's probably around 3k miles, and I'm not a light rider.

Disc wear on the other hand is fairly minimal when I took measurements of both when replacing the front pads. This may be by design, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:51 PM

I have the H11 disc group on my road bike and EKAR on my gravel bike. Replaced the H11 pads after close to 8K miles and the EKAR pads lasted about 5K. Maybe you lucked out with the first set?
Old 08-29-2024, 09:05 PM

It seems like I go thought them very quickly at about a new set in as little as a thousand miles. It’s quite hilly and I like to ride fast-ish on the carriage roads right outside of my town. I’ve used many other brand pads (I have to file the pads down to fit the Campy spring) and have had similar results so it’s not just Campy pads for me.

Fwiw this has been the case on quite a few of my Ekar gravel bikes. Bikes that I use as more of an all road type (but still Ekar equipped) of thing have pads last me a fair amount longer. Wonderful brakes even if I chew through pads.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmando View Post
It seems like I go thought them very quickly at about a new set in as little as a thousand miles. It’s quite hilly and I like to ride fast-ish on the carriage roads right outside of my town. I’ve used many other brand pads (I have to file the pads down to fit the Campy spring) and have had similar results so it’s not just Campy pads for me.

Fwiw this has been the case on quite a few of my Ekar gravel bikes. Bikes that I use as more of an all road type (but still Ekar equipped) of thing have pads last me a fair amount longer. Wonderful brakes even if I chew through pads.
What kills pads - and I have been riding disc brake mountain bikes for close to 25 years- is dirt and mud. I have had weekends where I went through a set of pads mountain biking.

While I have had good luck with the stock pads, I recently purchased a bunch of these and they work great- the bite is really, really strong - but because they are metal, they squeal a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do look like there are wearing quickly - the DB310 pads are the best - but at that price, if they only last 3K miles, I would be happy.

Last edited by vespasianus; 08-30-2024 at 05:31 AM.