Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-28-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
- I am fairly sure this frame requires a wireless drivetrain, so you are stuck with SRAM until Shimano finally gets around to releasing their solution, which includes some unknowns around UDH and how Shimano intends to deal with the direct mount issue.
I cannot think of the last time I heard of anybody removing electric Sram and putting on cable Shimano. Shimano is SO on the back foot. (I don't care for electric anyways, but still)

Quote:
If your primary concern is around maintenance, you should be aware of a number of things:

- This frame uses headset cable routing, and the S-Works models top that off with an integrated bar/stem component. Any changes to the cockpit are massive maintenance headaches.
Only the S works has headset routing. many people have chosen the "regular" frame specifically to avoid this. There is almost no difference in weight, even for WW.

Quote:
Looking over the rear suspension design, I think the primary maintenance issue is that you are stuck with a shock that is specific to this bike from one manufacturer. Given that this is a highly specialized race bike, I don't think the target market cares much, but your concern about availability down the line is legitimate.
The suspension CAN be converted to Flight Attendant, bolt on bespoke kit, for this frame. Not cheap, but incredible numbers of people are doing it..
Old 08-28-2024, 03:38 PM

I’ve personally had Brain issues on my last Epic and have a friend riding the a newer model and has had to have the Brain shock replaced 3 times now. Deal killer for me, personally, no matter how fast the bike is.

Food for thought.
Old 08-28-2024, 04:15 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
If anyone finds a Blur on big discount, please let me know.
I’m not sure what trim you’re looking for but this GX AXS transmission seems to be a good deal.
https://www.evo.com/mountain/santa-c...-complete-bike
Old 08-28-2024, 04:20 PM

I get you are asking for concerns, and people are trying to help, but lots of over the top/not fully informed thoughts here.

First, it only has a Brain in the fork. The shock is not a Brain shock.

Most all hand wringing and issues with Brain over the years have been Brain shocks, not forks. If you don't like the feel of the Brain damper in the fork, that can be replaced relatively easily and cheaply.

There should be zero concerns about UDH and the impact of Shimano's future drivetrains - that is going to be Shimano's issue to solve since you can't even find a decent mtb these days that isn't UDH. So no worries here.

Even the one piece bar/stem shouldn't be a concern. Nothing is routed thru it, so there is no headache to change. If it didn't fit you, you can take off and sell, and probably by a separate replacement stem/bar and come out ahead in $$$.

Last edited by KonaSS; 08-28-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2024, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
the Brain damper in the fork, that can be replaced relatively easily and cheaply.

ah... that's good to know!
Old 08-28-2024, 06:05 PM
n - 1

I happened to have ordered a Bontrager tire that came in today at the store. While I was there, I ogled at the Supercalibers. They had a nice Gen 1 on discount but I think I’d appreciate the extra rear travel.
I love the new Bont. Sainte Anne tires as well.
Old 08-29-2024, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellvetica View Post
I’ve personally had Brain issues on my last Epic and have a friend riding the a newer model and has had to have the Brain shock replaced 3 times now. Deal killer for me, personally, no matter how fast the bike is.

Food for thought.
I've got a 2023 Epic Expert with the brain (which works fine!), but bought a yoke that allows me to "de-brain" it if I'm ever feeling like I need to install a conventional shock.

Just another option.
Old 08-29-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
the Brain damper in the fork, that can be replaced relatively easily and cheaply.
I came hear to say this. You can swap the Brain damper out for a raceday damper in minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
I cannot think of the last time I heard of anybody removing electric Sram and putting on cable Shimano. Shimano is SO on the back foot. (I don't care for electric anyways, but still)
Also came here to say....I literally just swapped X01 transmission out for Shimano. It. Just. Works. Better.

The hyperglide+ chain-cassette interface in unrivaled under power. Electronic or not, it just shifts better. The programmed delay in the shifting of the Transmission stuff for the chain to get to the shift ramp has no place in steep technical riding when you need to dump a handful of gears at once.

Last edited by coreydoesntknow; 08-29-2024 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2024, 04:42 PM

Damnit. Really want that bike.
Sitting here debating whether to go get it.
If only it was $0.00
Old 08-29-2024, 04:55 PM
Two wheels good

Quote:
FWIW, if maintenance is a factor in your buying process for a mountain bike, I highly recommend test riding a Santa Cruz Blur before you drop the coin on this one. To date, Santa Cruz makes the most home-mechanic-friendly mountain bikes in the market, by some distance, in my experience.

You can probably even get a big discount on one at the moment.
Yeah, these high-end full-suspension bikes are getting like Porsches. The acquisition price is one thing... paying for the maintenance is another.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Luxurious View Post
Damnit. Really want that bike.
Sitting here debating whether to go get it.
If only it was $0.00
It's never too early to buy yourself a late year holiday present. My theory is that this is by far the best way to ensure that you get one present that you actually want.