Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000m2 View Post
Bike shop: Lazzaretti
https://www.ciclilazzaretti.it

A restaurant recommendation that our hotel reserved for us on the last night we were there, which was excellent:
Hosteria de Pietro
https://hostariadapietro.it
yes - i still have one of their jerseys and a pair of campy socks - years later and still going strong.
Old 08-26-2024, 08:33 PM

We took a private food tour in Rome. I think it was with Katie Parla. We started in a great piazza and tasted different balsamic vinegar choices and other choices, went to a meat market and tried different meats, a cheese market and tried different cheeses and a pizzeria and made our own pizzas. We stayed at a Marriott property near the Borghese gardens and took a cool little electric bus to the pizza for the tour.
Old 08-27-2024, 08:42 AM

My 2 cents.
I love Da Enzo 29 in Trastevere. It's a tiny place so get there early.
The Carbonara and Caccio e Pepe are the absolute best.

Also La Boticella Pub is great to have a pint and people watch.
The owners American raised Romans, very nice people and a great resource for info on where to go.. It's a Steelers bar on Sundays. Great Italian craft beers all spina.
Old 08-27-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Honestly, I spent a week in just Rome and I think you just need to go walk around everywhere and eat light meals around where you find yourself. It's such a wonderful time.

I think this is correct. We spent a couple weeks there this summer, and every meal was great. To add, avoid the places where they have the hucksters standing outside trying to engage you to come in.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcolumbus View Post
My 2 cents.
I love Da Enzo 29 in Trastevere. It's a tiny place so get there early.
The Carbonara and Caccio e Pepe are the absolute best.

Also La Boticella Pub is great to have a pint and people watch.
The owners American raised Romans, very nice people and a great resource for info on where to go.. It's a Steelers bar on Sundays. Great Italian craft beers all spina.
I just saw a story about Da Enzo on youtube and it looked great. Nice to have a confirmation.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I think this is correct. We spent a couple weeks there this summer, and every meal was great. To add, avoid the places where they have the hucksters standing outside trying to engage you to come in.
I agree with this sentiment. There's something wrong about going to a city and then only going to places that people from out of town suggest. My wife....not so much I think we have negotiated down to two (2) reservations and the rest of the meals are to be discovered.

Hearing about everyone's positive experiences has got us very excited. Thank you all for your rec's and suggestions!
Old 08-28-2024, 09:00 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Yeah, and my rule is to avoid restaurants right next to tourist attractions. That has been the worst food I consumed in Europe.

Yelp and Tripadvisor are your friends. I use Yelp first, and then back it up with Tripadvisor. The latter is used much more in Europe. Has served me well.
Old 08-28-2024, 10:53 AM

the best thing I did in Rome was to get up early, not hard with the time diff, and get a ticket to "hike" up to the roof of St. Peters. Being there early avoids the crowds and I was able to see the Pieta without a line.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:46 AM

Top of St Peters early in the morning or at sunset.

Jog around the city before sunrise. That was my favorite way to see the city and tourist attractions.

Avoid restaurant recommendations from Google Maps and TripAdvisor. Those were my least memorable meals. All the reviews were by tourists.

I really liked Naples. We took a quick train there and ate pizza at Da Michelle.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:46 AM
#RYFB

This is way down the list of things to do/see there, but the mention of St. Peters reminded me: there are two spots marked out in the square in front of the basilica that are points of perspective. When you stand on one, the rows of columns on the opposing side perfectly align into one. If you appreciate a bit of math and are walking there anyway, they're worth seeking out.

I mean, it's not the dome, the Pieta, or the Sistine Chapel, but it's still pretty cool.
Old 08-29-2024, 08:04 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
All the reviews were by tourists.

Well, yeah, but, weren't you a tourist, too? Did you expect locals posting there?