Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 07:40 AM

I think everywhere is more and more crowded on the East Coast. Maybe MDI especially so. To a large degree though things seem to be much more concentrated on the Bar Harbor side. I've found the west/southwestern portion of the island still has some quieter, remote areas, nice roads, including some gravel as I recall. People might forget that Acadia actually extends to areas on that side. In fact portions of Acadia are on the mainland.
Old 08-26-2024, 08:02 AM

We’ve made plans to go up in late September. Because of an impending death in the family, we tried to reschedule for mid-October. Everything was booked up for then.
5-6 years ago we went to Acadia just after Labor Day thinking it would be quieter, kids back to school etc. Nope, the park was filled with retirees and visitors from abroad.
Do they still do that thing in the spring (May?) when the park loop road is open for 1 week only to cyclists, before they allow motor vehicles?
Old 08-26-2024, 10:05 AM
Post Mod-ern

Thanks to all for the feedback.

My favorite time over the years has always been after Labor Day, up into October. The roads and Bar Harbor may still be crowded with retirees, but the kids are back at school and anyplace more than a five minute walk from a road on the trails and carriage roads is still deserted. some of my best time there have been in late fall when it rained a lot. Nobody out!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 08-26-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave View Post
My favorite time over the years has always been after Labor Day, up into October. The roads and Bar Harbor may still be crowded with retirees, but the kids are back at school and anyplace more than a five minute walk from a road on the trails and carriage roads is still deserted. some of my best time there have been in late fall when it rained a lot. Nobody out!

BBD
Late May is very similar, but even less crowded. The park is deserted, and Bar Harbor is quiet. We hiked on the rainy days and rode bikes on the dry days. The leaves were still emerging, and we found ice that was still between the rocks on some of the shaded trails.

Greg
Old 08-26-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I think everywhere is more and more crowded on the East Coast. Maybe MDI especially so. To a large degree though things seem to be much more concentrated on the Bar Harbor side. I've found the west/southwestern portion of the island still has some quieter, remote areas, nice roads, including some gravel as I recall. People might forget that Acadia actually extends to areas on that side. In fact portions of Acadia are on the mainland.
I've stayed in Southwest Harbor (quiet side) many times, shout out to Acadia Yurts which are right on the border of ANP, There is some good dirt road riding there if one knows where to look.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
It's always nice to know that you are actually supporting the National Parks.

Are you a senior citizen?

My wife is, and she got a lifetime senior pass.

https://store.usgs.gov/lifetime-senior-pass

SPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2metalhips View Post
Those Senior passes are great, they used to be free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
When I got mine they were $20. When were they free?
I forgot mine in VA in May and had to pay $15 to ride Skyline Drive. I was pissed!
I've got one. I got it when they were still free back in ...~2016??
That's for Park entry. You still have to pay for parking in many places, I believe....but, hey - no big whoop!
Old 08-26-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2metalhips View Post
I've stayed in Southwest Harbor (quiet side) many times, shout out to Acadia Yurts which are right on the border of ANP, There is some good dirt road riding there if one knows where to look.
We stayed in SW Harbor in August and it was nice and quiet compared to Bar Harbor which was like Kids' Day at the Zoo with all the tourists and cruise ship passengers.
Old 08-27-2024, 11:28 AM

8/27/24 on 3rd hour of Today show

Excellent segment on Maine and Acadia N.P. I know it just ended at 9:25 in San Diego but we might be able to find it elsewhere on demand?
Old 08-27-2024, 12:17 PM

So many other fingers off Maine coast worth exploring.
Old 08-27-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
So many other fingers off Maine coast worth exploring.
I wonder about driving just a little farther into Canada where US Dollars go farther?
Old 08-27-2024, 03:06 PM

I really think the answer to overcrowding in the NPs is not making it easier for car people and paving more of the park.

Acadia is really accessible on a bike from almost anywhere you stay on the island. It's been a while since I've been there but I can't remember ever needing a pass for anything biking.

We have been discussing going back cause our son hasn't been.

For families maybe you need to drive and park at a trailhead. With a road/gravel bike it's very accessible to just ride out of wherever you are on your bike and forget the car.

Cadillac Mtn is not hard to ride up, my wife rode up it and is not a cyclist and certainly didn't train for it. When I was there alone I would ride it more than once on a ride.

So many parks they are so happy you're not bringing a giant car/truck in they seem to just wave you through when you're on a bike. I had a few instances of this so far this season, I would be happy to pay the nominal fee for a cyclist and the rangers just said not to worry about it.

A gravel bike is the right choice there IMO. I remember riding the carriage rodes on 23c tires and "managing" and then other times having the MTB and "managing" on the paved stuff and climbing Cadillac mountain. On a gravel bike it would just be the perfect bike to mix up the roads and carriage trails and have a blast everywhere. IIRC there was nothing that required a MTB that you were actually allowed to ride on.

Last edited by benb; 08-27-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
A gravel bike is the right choice there IMO. I remember riding the carriage rodes on 23c tires and "managing" and then other times having the MTB and "managing" on the paved stuff and climbing Cadillac mountain. On a gravel bike it would just be the perfect bike to mix up the roads and carriage trails and have a blast everywhere. IIRC there was nothing that required a MTB that you were actually allowed to ride on.
Agree! I ride a gravel bike with 32 mm slicks which I would say is just about perfect.