Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 09:01 PM

What Do YOU Do When You Encounter an Equestrian on a Trail?

Hopefully stop, and ask the rider how to proceed.

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...-after-injury/
Old 08-26-2024, 09:13 PM

We (small group of old MTBers) always just stop and let the equestrians pass us. Coming up on them we announce ourselves then stop.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:17 PM

I always stop, say hello and give them the right of away. The rider almost always will then tell me how to proceed. On the rare occasions when I might be passing I'll call out hello and let them know where I am. Then they pull over and let me know when it's good to pass. I always make time for a little conversation.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:57 PM

The etiquette is normally that bikers and hikers yield to equestrians. In Arizona, the state parks have signs stating that. I trail ride on horseback and on my MTB and for the most part, when I'm on a horse, the MTBr's have been courteous. The only real issue we ever had on a trail ride was a Karen who thought that she was a pedestrian and had the right away over equestrians. Even though I tried to explain that she was a hiker, she said she was reporting us to the park rangers. I hope she did.

On the case linked in the OP, the MTB person should have never overtaken the riders without clearly communicating and getting the okay from the riders.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:03 PM

dismount and walk (wide berth)
Old 08-26-2024, 11:29 PM
Byron

It depends on your hood.
Very rare occurrence in my hood.
I was shocked by the meetup.
I read the rules recently, but nobody reads the rules.
So just take more caution.
I can't bunny hop a horse.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:43 PM

Usually I curse to myself, then wonder why they never clean up their horses' excrement.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:00 AM

I haven’t ridden a horse more than three times in my life but encounter them frequently on the rural and farm roads where I ride.

In slowing down and waiting for clearance to overtake I make conversation and was once asked not to freewheel, as the sound can apparently be very unsettling for some horses. Maybe it sounds like a rattlesnake, not that I’ve heard one in real life.

Most riders say they just want the chance to let their horse see you before you ride past. I seldom if ever completely stop unless it’s children riding and not looking confident.
Old 08-27-2024, 01:54 AM

It doesn't matter how bomb proof the horse is or strong the rider is, when a horse wants to be stupid and spook, they will,

Calling out to a rider when approaching is a good idea. Even more important when coming up behind. The horse has probably already heard you, but maybe the rider has not. By calling out, you let the rider know you are a friend, and the rider relaxes a bit. When a rider tenses up or is startled, the horse tenses up and is startled. It's a funny relationship.

A lot of issues are the rider and not the horse.

(A few bad experiences can really wreck a horse)

Last edited by verticaldoug; 08-27-2024 at 01:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2024, 05:24 AM

The article mentions the "side of the road" and "traffic laws" so it sounds like they were actually on a road. When I encounter a horse I slow down and start talking or greeting horse and rider, starting from just in audible range of normal speaking voice. Talking to the horse shows the rider that you are respecting the animal. Thats my thinking anyway. I'd like to think the horse knows you are talking to them too. In my experience horses on roads are usually acclimated to it.
Old 08-27-2024, 05:37 AM

Trail? Slow/stop, say hello, and let the horse rider tell me how to proceed.

Road (with car traffic)? Slow a bit, say hello, and keep on riding.
Old 08-27-2024, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesNdeed View Post
Hopefully stop, and ask the rider how to proceed.

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...-after-injury/
Exactly what me and my MTB buddies do. We do ride in a few places that horse trails either cross and run together for a while.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:59 AM

I try to announce myself and slow down if coming from the rear. If I'm coming at the horse and rider I try to get as wide as possible and slow down. Admittedly, the etiquette thing being referenced here is new to me. I'm going to look up what the rules are in IL and WI as I'm no curious. I get the rules may be different than the etiquette as I think the officer at the end of the article was pointing out but I'm also not interested in someone getting injured.

What does bother me from time-to-time is the piles of crap. There really needs to be a better way than just leaving a massive pile of **** laying on the trail. Dog owners are expected to pick up after their animals so I'm at a loss for why it's ok to leave a pile of horse crap laying in the middle of a busy trail?
Old 08-27-2024, 07:08 AM

Approaching a very large and strong animal, especially with a person riding it, should be done with extreme care for all involved...horse, rider, yourself, and anyone else around you.

I would always come to a complete stop and ask the horseback rider how to proceed.

Common sense should be applied here, regardless of whether you know the rules or not.

SPP
Old 08-27-2024, 07:25 AM
Administrator

I usually try and quietly sneak up on them and then throw firecrackers in the air to make as much sharp loud noise as possible.

That seems to do the trick.