Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2024, 05:26 AM

Wei san, I have a bike that you would surely love. Many years ago now (10+?) I came across a Moots Psychlo-X YBB Disc that was from a transitional period (probably just a year or two) when the frame was fitted with mounts for both cantilever brakes and disc brakes (mechanical, naturally). I had previously ridden a standard Psychlo-X at D2R2 for several years, and bought the YBB frame as an experiment to see if the soft tail (and disc brakes!) made a difference on the ride and, if it (they) did, I was going to see if I could convince Moots to make a Psychlo-X YBB Disc for hydraulic brakes (this was loooong before the Routt YBB existed). I rode that bike at D2R2 for a couple of years (with 700c wheels) and loved it, but I couldn’t convince Moots to make a frame for me that would work with 650B tires, which is what I wanted to run for my all-road bike after riding Justin Bagnati’s 650B Seven. I ended up getting a 650B Firefly with a Lefty fork, but have since ditched the Lefty fork—for me the YBB makes a bigger difference than the front suspension.

Anyway, to the point, I eventually decided to turn the Moots into a tricked out hybrid/city bike. I switched the wheels to 650B with 42mm tires, and swapped the drop bars for a flat bar. Fortunately, I had a set of Campagnolo flatbar shifters that work with the Campagnolo derailleurs and the mechanical disc brakes. Here is the bike at the Philly Bike Expo a couple of years ago:

It’s a complete mongrel, but an absolute blast to ride. Funny enough, when I ride the bike, I think of you and some of your out-there bike experiments—you were no small inspiration in the evolution of this bike.

Last edited by happycampyer; 08-03-2024 at 05:29 AM.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:38 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
Wei san, I have a bike that you would surely love.
It’s a complete mongrel, but an absolute blast to ride. Funny enough, when I ride the bike, I think of you and some of your out-there bike experiments—you were no small inspiration in the evolution of this bike.
happy pal! I dunno how in the world I could have missed your post contribution to this thread, my sincere apology!

Thank you for your kind words, I don't seek out to inspire anything or anybody, just trying to be authentic and true to my own personal perspectives and values, that's all. But you on the other hand my friend, has inspired me with many of your Legend-ary Titanium creations, especially this one, it's been featured on my PC wallpaper for several seasons.

That Moots is WILD(WOW)-looking...you even have Avid BB7s on it, that's f'king cool man. Me like it. A. LOT.

May it take you to places where no man has gone beyond. The Star Ship Moots. Captain H.C. in command.

P.S. If you want to see more of HC's Ti babies, you need to get over to this thread pronto, he just unloaded the motherload a few days ago:
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...postcount=1546

Last edited by weisan; 08-26-2024 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:50 PM
ZhugeLiang

Looks like I was wrong....T-Lab actually did specified on their website that the R3 can take up to 650bx42 in terms of tire clearance. Well, it's certainly not my case.
https://t-lab-bikes.com/en-us/bikes/r3-omni
Old 08-26-2024, 06:14 PM

What do your 650b tires actually measure?

It's also not uncommon to have asym chainstays for more tire/crank/chainring clearance these days. Some of the dropped yoke stays are extreme (and common) examples of this.

Isn't your bike a custom as well? Maybe the PO spec'ed it slightly differently?
Old 08-26-2024, 06:44 PM
ZhugeLiang

I actually started off with a 40mm tires that measured true to size, but seeing how tight it is, I backed down to a 38.

I talked to the original owner earlier on the phone, it is a custom but he too was under the impression that a 42mm would clear. But you brought up a good point, maybe somewhere in the process they have to make certain concessions to get everything to work right. I have emailed T-Lab, waiting to hear back, I will be curious what they have to say. Will report back.