Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 09:03 AM

Tandem/Visually Impaired/Bucks County

Wondering if any of y'all have suggestions...

I ride as a captain on a tandem for a charity that rides with visually impaired folks as stokers in NYC (Intandembike.org).

One of the stokers who I have ridden with is a strong rider and an interesting person to ride with. She is moving to a place called Newtown in Bucks County PA and asked if I could help her in finding a way for her to continue to ride.

I am wondering if anyone here either knows of any organizations in the area that do tandem rides and/or if anyone here would be interested in captaining a tandem in the area with this woman. There is a possibility that she might buy a used tandem in order to facilitate this as cycling is an important part of her life.

Please let me know if you have any ideas/thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2024, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Jon, I have no useful advice, but wanted to say that's so good of you to do this. Sounds like a meaningful charity for sure.

Bucks County is sure a beautiful place to ride bikes. I hope she finds someone who can get her out there.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:30 AM

I'm in Philly and grew up in Bucks County. There are quite a few bike shops in that area. I would start by reaching out to some of them since they're likely to know the region. Here's one such shop: https://www.firehousecycles.com/

I have some friends in the region as well. Some ride for this club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/437548

I would reach out to shops and maybe post on that club group and ask.

I think she'll find someone.
Old 08-26-2024, 09:34 AM

Newtown is a great base to start your Bucks County rides! We used to have near daily sunrise rides from the Starbucks there.

Check with local shops, Firehouse is good, I'll also suggest Guy's in Feasterville Guy's Bicycles

Central Bucks is a great club for recreational cycling, they might have some insight also https://www.cbbikeclub.org/

Last edited by Davist; 08-26-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
Wondering if any of y'all have suggestions...

I ride as a captain on a tandem for a charity that rides with visually impaired folks as stokers in NYC (Intandembike.org).

One of the stokers who I have ridden with is a strong rider and an interesting person to ride with. She is moving to a place called Newtown in Bucks County PA and asked if I could help her in finding a way for her to continue to ride.

I am wondering if anyone here either knows of any organizations in the area that do tandem rides and/or if anyone here would be interested in captaining a tandem in the area with this woman. There is a possibility that she might buy a used tandem in order to facilitate this as cycling is an important part of her life.

Please let me know if you have any ideas/thoughts.

Thanks!
[X] Like
[X] A lot!
Old 08-26-2024, 02:46 PM

I would reach out to Tandems East in New Jersey. There is a very good chance they could put you in contact with some tandem owners in that area.