Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2024, 09:52 AM

Meralgia Parestheica

Has any had any experience with this condition, also known as Bernhardt Roth syndrome? It is described as compression of the femoral nerve according to medical literature as summarized here:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...a-paresthetica

According to my doctor’s diagnosis my condition was likely caused by extended wearing of compression shorts as prescribed by my surgeon to relieve pain from an earlier hernia procedure.

In my case, I initially experienced pain and muscle tightness which after several months of physical therapy has subsided, although currently I have severe knee pain while standing for over 10 minutes or extended walking of 1/4 mile or more.
My sleep is a frequently interrupted mostly due to knee pain and I must spend about 30 minutes stretching in the morning before regain somewhat normal function.

Fortunately at this point I am able to ride my bicycle for extended periods without discomfort.

I would greatly appreciate feedback from PL members who have experienced this situation especially those who have had success in relieving this condition.
Old 08-25-2024, 12:42 PM

I did primary care and saw this occasionally. It’s usually a numbness or odd sensation in the lateral thigh, more of a nuisance for people I saw. I would look for another cause of the knee pain.
Old 08-25-2024, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftCleats View Post
I did primary care and saw this occasionally. It’s usually a numbness or odd sensation in the lateral thigh, more of a nuisance for people I saw. I would look for another cause of the knee pain.
Perhaps, except other meralgia paresthetica symptoms are also present first thing in the morning until I complete about 30 minutes of stretching.
Old 08-25-2024, 02:52 PM

yes I had it

and it should be from injury/compression of your lateral femoral cutaneous nerve.
I had mine from hard crash on right side--huge contusion and big collection of fluid on the outside of my hip into thigh. could not lay on right side, could not wear anything that remotely compressed the thigh. Mine fortunately resolved as the collection of fluid resolved.

The only positive thing I can say is shingles, which I also had at right thigh, was worse (but also shorter-lived).

My anatomy is rusty, but the lateral femoral nerve MIGHT be related to knee pain, but Occom's razor is a dicey bet when it comes to medical stuff--you could overlook something else by assuming it is related.

Anyway, knowledge is power, so read up beyond the basic mayo and Cleveland clinic blurbs. There are certainly several medical articles on pub med addressing this :"Meralgia paraesthetica following laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair".
More info on the condition, causes, treatments, etc. Recommend you also look at the "cited by" and "similar articles" sections for each of the free-full-text articles I link below:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10162905/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10622057/
Old 08-26-2024, 01:57 PM

Since I don’t know anyone who has experienced this I value your feedback. I’m currently working with an orthopedist who specializes in physical rehabilitation and sports medicine and an experienced physical therapist.

Still I feel the need to advocate for myself since progress has been slow and any information about this somewhat uncommon condition is helpful.