Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2024, 10:53 PM

I would look for a used Sarto.
Old 08-16-2024, 10:59 PM

There is a used 2018 Sarto Dinamica on EBay for under 3,000. Seller is located in San Jose. Sub 16 lb handmade Italian race bike.
Old 08-17-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalwildrako View Post
Any update on your search for a bike?

I hope you were able to find something and get a lot of miles under you by now!
i did buy a frame! it doesn't meet all of the original criteria but there is a bonus feature. though the frame i found wasn't on my short list, i did narrow my search further and was looking hard for a Time Izon or Time Fluidity

the frame i've yet to collect from the seller but i've got parts ready and hope to get building soon.

i ended up selling off my 11 speed stuff because i couldn't come to terms with paying $400 for a new medium cage 11spd campy RD or $200 for a well used and rashed example, and i found it cheaper to buy brand new 12 speed stuff. trade off is some weight penalty but parts are all new and ended up less expensive.

hed ardennes ra black wheelset - picked these up in less than perfect cosmetic condition but they were cheap and look to be in great working order. they spin smooth and straight, no dings etc
record rim brakes - new in box
record front/rear derailleurs - new in box
super record levers - nearly new
DA chain/ultegra 11-34 cassette - new

i'll make/link the thread as soon as I get the frame in hand.

as for miles... riding the voodoo still putting ~100 miles / week on it. i really shouldn't complain, but it's a CX bike after all and my build is a little wonky. most notably i'm not terribly confident on fast descents which i attribute to a few factors, the higher bottom bracket being one i can't remedy. a carbon fork would probably improve things too because the steel fork on there with the Paul canti's is a bit frightening. 1" head tube and ti stem might contribute to that lack of confidence too, but what do i know. also front shifting is a delicate procedure with my franken drive train. basically i need to be near the middle of the cassette to shift the front, up or down, otherwise the chain likes to drop. i didn't have the problem with an ultegra r8000 front mech but i snapped 2 of them. seasoned mechanic had it dialed but it was too much cable tension to pull the chain to the big ring and they failed. outer ring too far out i presume? we ended up with a veloce derailleur handling the front but it need some persuading. it works, but far from perfect.
... i can't wait to have a proper road bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleySteamer View Post
There is a used 2018 Sarto Dinamica on EBay for under 3,000. Seller is located in San Jose. Sub 16 lb handmade Italian race bike.
Sarto would be high on my list if i were buying new, good looking bikes. they're not easy to come by in the right size. that one you mentioned looks like a good deal though too large for me.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:51 AM

alright for anyone following along -

i finally picked up the frame and started a thread

hopefully it'll rolling in the next day or 2

thanks all!